Xbox News

Xbox News
0.0 0

I have no idea what this is, but I know people use this to watch TV while gaming. So… I’m not sure if this is good news or if MS is going to anger some folks.

On the face of it, the in-depth discussion of techniques like this may be suggesting that Scorpio isn’t the ‘true 4K’ console that Microsoft marketed it as at E3 2016. But the practical reality is that the document confirms that at least one first-party 1080p title has transitioned relatively easily to native 4K (our best guess would be the Forza Motorsport engine is the technology in question here), and accepts the reality that GPU resources aren’t always best spent on precision pixel-work at ultra HD resolutions.

Of course, the reality is that the techniques outlined in the whitepaper have been battle-tested by PlayStation 4 Pro. Titles like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone have validated sparse/checkerboard rendering up to 2160p, while Call of Duty Infinite Warfare employs virtually all the techniques Microsoft discusses in some way, shape or form. Scorpio’s additional horsepower - combined with more developer experience by the time it launches - should also lead to fewer of the basic 1440p ports we’ve seen on PS4 Pro.

I’m no tech expert, but what I’ve gathered from this article and those more knowledgable on NeoGAF is that the Scorpio is going to be closer to the PS4 Pro than previously speculated as MS is encouraging up-res techniques for devs instead of native 4K graphics. Still more powerful, but not full “next-gen” powerful. Maybe to keep the cost down.

My buddy was one of the only people I knew that used this regularly to watch tv as he was playing games. Apparently Netflix dropped support for it some time ago, so he said the writing was on the wall. He is pretty bummed about it, but is just hoping something better is coming. I never use it because the aspect ratio to watch something is horrible for a side bar, so it made no sense to me to shrink the area of my main screen just to get another tiny screen that took 1/8 of the space that it was allocated. I would be really interested if PiP came along, although not sure how that would work for the HUD on most games.

I’m not a sports guy, but I could imagine having a football game on while playing would be kinda cool—something you don’t need to pay full attention to.

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give you more options to diversify and expand your library of games with Xbox Game Pass, a new gaming subscription service coming later this spring. Xbox Game Pass gives you unlimited access to over 100 Xbox One and backward compatible Xbox 360 games – all for $9.99 per month.

Depending on the selection of games, this could be a decent deal if you go through a lot of games.

Their version of PS Now? I’d prefer to download and not just stream. Nice.

And you don’t even need a Gold subscription.

EDIT: Need to add this bit.

That means continuous, full-fidelity gameplay without having to worry about streaming, bandwidth or connectivity issues.

Time to step your game up Sony!

oh?

I didn’t think we’d hear/see anything until E3.

Maybe they’ll actually show off some games at E3?

Fixed that for you.

In all seriousness… I’m really worried for MS this E3. If they don’t have games to show off that aren’t Gears/Halo/Forza, they will be in ROUGH shape. Sony is absolutely killing it this year already (Horizon, Nier, Nioh, Persona, etc) and it’s only April, Nintendo just launched a successful (so far) console/handheld, Sony has locked down the marketing for Destiny 2, RDR2 and CoD (and probably also Battlefront 2), so MS really —REALLY— needs some reason for people to buy a Scorpio besides MORE POWER.

[quote=“DarthSmurfX, post:131, topic:386, full:true”]
Fixed that for you.[/quote]

ZING!

But yeah, if Microsoft doesn’t have anything up their sleeves and are just banking on the Scorpio… GG guys, GG.

<th> </th>
        <th>Project Scorpio</th>
        <th>Xbox One</th>
        <th>PS4 Pro</th>

</thead><tbody><tr>
        <th>CPU</th>
        <td>Eight custom x86 cores clocked at 2.3GHz</td>
        <td>Eight custom Jaguar cores clocked at 1.75GHz</td>
        <td>Eight Jaguar cores clocked at 2.1GHz</td>
    </tr><tr>
        <th>GPU</th>
        <td>40 customised compute units at 1172MHz</td>
        <td>12 GCN compute units at 853MHz (Xbox One S: 914MHz)</td>
        <td>36 improved GCN compute units at 911MHz</td>
    </tr><tr>
        <th>Memory</th>
        <td>12GB GDDR5</td>
        <td>8GB DDR3/32MB ESRAM</td>
        <td>8GB GDDR5</td>
    </tr><tr>
        <th>Memory Bandwidth</th>
        <td>326GB/s</td>
        <td>DDR3: 68GB/s, ESRAM at max 204GB/s (Xbox One S: 219GB/s)</td>
        <td>218GB/s</td>
    </tr><tr>
        <th>Hard Drive</th>
        <td>1TB 2.5-inch</td>
        <td>500GB/1TB/2TB 2.5-inch</td>
        <td>1TB 2.5-inch</td>
    </tr><tr>
        <th>Optical Drive</th>
        <td>4K UHD Blu-ray</td>
        <td>Blu-ray (Xbox One S: 4K UHD)</td>
        <td>Blu-ray</td>
    </tr></tbody></table>

In case those numbers are confusing, this guy explains it in a way I can understand. Essentially, it’s the difference between the original PS4 and the original XB1, but in reverse. So the XB1 is more powerful than the PS4 Pro, but not monumentally.

Okay, so it’s significantly more powerful than it’s competition. Now we wait on a price.

While Game Pass will be available to everyone in June, Xbox Live Gold subscribers will get early access to the service starting today.

List of Games available:

Our analysis used a third-party API to randomly sample usage data from nearly one million active Xbox One Gamertags over a period of nearly five months starting last September (read the introductory piece for much more about the data and methodology). In the end, only about 1.5 percent of the more than 1.65 billion minutes of Xbox One usage time we tracked was spent on the 300+ backward-compatible Xbox 360 games, in aggregate. That translates to an average of just 23.9 minutes per sampled active Xbox One user spent on Xbox 360 games out of 1,526 average minutes of Xbox One usage during the sampling period.

Things don’t look better for backward compatibility when you look at individual games. The most popular backward-compatible title in our sample, Call of Duty: Black Ops, was played by three or four out of every 1,000 active Xbox Live users, which is actually competitive with some of the most popular Xbox One titles. Usage rates for less-popular games drop off steeply from there, though, and no other backward-compatible title even ranks in the top 100 most popular Xbox One apps in terms of total unique users.

All of these sources of potential error make us uncomfortable using our data to directly extrapolate total sales or usage numbers for the entire Xbox playerbase. The numbers and ratios presented in this report should only be considered representative, sampled estimates of the online portion of the Xbox community, which could be significantly different from the total community of Xbox owners. You can try to multiply out our percentages by reported hardware sales numbers if you want, but we wouldn’t stand behind that extrapolation.

This is interesting. I, for one, love the idea of BC and would love it if the PS4 had it. Mainly, because there are PS3 games I missed out on being an X360 guy last gen. And if I owned an XBO, most of my gaming would probably be with BC because… what else am I going to play on that system besides Halo Wars 2? (sick MS burn) That, and I’ve had the itch to play some SSX and Burnout lately and those games only exist in last gen.

Anyhoo… those of you who own XBO’s… how often do you use BC? Is this chart accurate in your experience? And regardless of its utility, I’m glad XBO has it. It is seen as a worthwhile feature and puts pressure on Sony to do something to counter it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I’ve been playing Castle Crashers with my kids lately, but it’s the HD remaster so I guess that doesn’t really count. They’ll play some of the other BC titles from time to time, but probably not as much as the new games. I would guess that chart is pretty spot on.

I think what you said is accurate though; even if it isn’t used all that much, simply having it (even just a subset of the 360 games) makes them look better and might sell more XBones.