Xbox News

Xbox News
0.0 0

Imma do it just to spite you. You will learn your place.

Love it.

I lol’d way too much at that.

Whoa, they actually did it. I didn’t expect it to actually happen:

Xbox Dev Mode is available starting today as a preview and will be finalized as a full release this summer. The mode will allow anyone to build, test and experiment with Universal Windows Program (UWP) development. Converting a console to Dev Mode requires no special equipment or fees, though to fully access the abilities, a user will need to create a Dev Center account for $19.

It’s obviously not for everyone though:

The introduction also warns that once you’ve converted your console over, you may occasionally run into issues running retail games. In addition, the introduction says, leaving Dev Mode will require resetting your console to its factory settings and uninstalling all of your games, apps and content.

Still cool that they are opening up access. I wish I could just snap my fingers and make a game, I know it will never happen though.

This was announced at their Build conference, which is at Moscone Center right by work (where every friggin’ conference is held). NEEEERDS EVERYWHERE. inb4unneceesaryogrenerds.gif

Oh it’s necessary

Not so fast, buddy.

The Xbox One is about to become a development platform for everyone. With this summer’s anniversary update, developers creating UWPs will be able to turn their Xbox Ones into a development unit and use them to debug and test applications, and all they’ll need is a Windows developer registration (a one-off $19 for individuals, $99 for corporations).

But there’s one category of application that they won’t be able to write: games. Microsoft already has schemes for creating games on Xbox, with its existing partner program and independent developer scheme, ID@Xbox. Any developers that want to submit UWP games will have to be a member of ID@Xbox. While that doesn’t cost anything, it’s also not open to everyone in the way that Windows developer registration is. Companies have to be approved for ID@Xbox and subsequently agree to an NDA.

This stands in contrast to desktop Windows, where UWP games are open to any developer, and Microsoft is doing its best to actively encourage their development.

Sooooo… virtually useless.

Yes, this was all covered in the Polygon article…if you read it:angry:

Developers will still rely on the existing ID@Xbox system in place for getting their games onto the console.

That means that a developer will have to go through Microsoft’s concept approval, which usually takes about two weeks, before the game is eligible to be published on Xbox One.

“Concept approval is a process that every game that releases on Xbox One goes through to ensure that the games hit technical quality standards and are appropriate for Xbox One,” Charla said. “We’re not looking to be censors and we’re excited to enable a broad range of experiences so that when players turn on their Xbox One, they have access to the most diverse portfolio of games possible.”

If a game isn’t approved for release on Xbox One, the developer is still able to release their creation on the Windows Store, he added. “If they want to use Xbox Live on Windows, or release a game on Xbox One, they can work with ID@Xbox to enable Xbox Live for their title or bring it to Xbox One.”

If a game is approved for the console, developers will have to sign a contract with Microsoft, which includes a “standard platform royalty that everyone charges,” Charla said.

“If a developer has a game that they want to publish, they apply to ID@Xbox, tell us about the game, and once the concept is approved we sign a contract,” he said. “Then as they get closer, we help them out getting through certification. We also do promotion of the game at events like what we had at GDC, where we invite a lot of press.”

The big change here is that traditionally, Microsoft had to give a hopeful developer a dev kit. Now a developer can just switch over their own retail console.

In allowing any Xbox One to become a dev kit, Microsoft is unlocking the floodgates to game development, but at the same time, the company is still using a restrictive system, in which Microsoft is the gatekeeper, to allow those games on the console.

The result feels almost like this new mode for the console creates an inherent conflict in Microsoft’s approach to indie games, but Charla says that’s not the case.

“We’re excited to enable anyone to start experimenting with development using UWP and to test those experiences in the living room on their Xbox One,” he said. “At the same time, for any game that ships on Xbox One, we have a promise to our players that games will hit certain standards. For all games on Xbox One, we require things such as appropriate age and content ratings and concept approval. This ensures that games hit technical quality and content standards that Xbox audiences expect. This is part of our promise to Xbox One consumers. We’re not looking to be censors, and if you look at the Xbox One and Xbox 360 libraries, you can see examples of the broad range of content we’re excited to see on Xbox One.”

It’s all messaging and I know you all think that Polygon is very Microsoft biased, so those red flags will instantly be raised, but either way, this can’t be viewed as a bad thing. You definitely have to temper your expectations, but just the fact that it’s moving in this direction is promising, even if it is limiting.

I try not to give Polygon clicks, so if all of the article isn’t present in the post, there’s zero chance I’ll ever see it. Luckily, other sites sift through the trash to pull out the fine print for us.

I got this from NeoGAF:

It’s worth noting that you have to sign an NDA to participate in the ID@Xbox program, and obviously Microsoft can reject/ignore your application should they chose to.

In cases where devs are accepted onto the ID@Xbox program, they are given two free devkits anyway. This initiative is only of real practical use for people that for whatever reason are unwilling or unable to join the ID@Xbox program.

The article title reads like, “ANYONE can now make Xbox One games!!!” But in reality, in order to make XB1 games, you need to be in ID@Xbox, which gives you 2 free devkits. But if you’re not in ID@Xbox, you can’t make games for the XB1 anyhow, so converting your console over is pointless. I’m not seeing who this benefits other than Polygon and other websites for clickbait articles and MS’s PR team year-end reviews and bonuses.

To me, it just screams:

Like Hololens, the Cloud and their VR “support.” And to an extent their BC implementation. Although that has really started to improve their GwG offerings each month.

The closest analogy I can make right now is that Microsoft is your Batman v Superman. You all are so quick to shit on it, even if it isn’t harming ANYONE. Meanwhile, Sony’s idea of backwards compatibility is offering PS2 games at $15 a pop.

All I’m saying, this is a step in the right direction, no matter how small of a step that is. Sure you can say it’s just being used for click bait, but you can’t tell me announcing the PS.VR at $399 wasn’t doing the exact same thing.

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/05/Nerds-fighting-gif.gif?gs=a

Comparing turning your console into a devkit, backwards compatibility and VR pricing is comparing apples and oranges… and pears.

And Kinect is a banana.

And ya’ll are just

The part where they insert the Terminator music caught me off guard. I peed a little laughing.

Not really, but it was funny.

Xbox One Revision and probably a NEW Xbox outed by FCC Filings