WWE 2K16 - Here Comes the Shame

WWE 2K16 - Here Comes the Shame
0.0 0

WWE 2K16

The 2015 edition of 2K and Yuke's WWE 2K franchise.

Expected Release

October 27, 2015

Platforms

Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Network (PS3), PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4

Developers

Yuke's Co. Ltd.

Genres

Wrestling

Find out more at Giant Bomb

I wasn’t going to give this game it’s own thread, but… just watch.

colbert_facepalm

Also, a note to the web guys. This site wouldn’t let me use the title “WWE 2K16.” It said it wasn’t descriptive enough.

It’s currently a bug where it won’t let you have a title with all capital letters even if you turn of the setting to allow it. Hopefully it’s fixed soon.

Whatever, I think it’s great. I love wrestling because of how silly it can be, and I loved that video.

His walkout music had better be the T2 theme.

I wonder if they’ll also “Benoit” him and ban every player who uploads a CAW of him as well.

I think it’s funny how far WWE is distancing themselves from Hogan when at the same time they have an Ulitmate Warrior award, the same man who is on tape at a town meeting saying the most homophobic shit I’ve ever heard in my life. He’s also called Droz (a paralyzed wrestler) a cripple, and said it was good Heath Ledger died since he played a gay man in Brokeback Mountain. Hogan is a dirtbag but Warrior was often much much worse.

Basically WWE are fucking hypocrites who have their own documented deep seeded issues with race and prejudice.

Back to the game… as long as Yuke’s is still in charge of development on these games I have zero interest in playing them. WWE 2K has consistently been so bad on a basic design level.

That Terminator commercial is dope as fuck though.

My thoughts exactly.

I’ll buy 2K16 if I see it on sale for $15 or less, like I did for the last WWE game I bought several years ago. 2K15 was a joke (from everything I read). It had bugs and glitches galore (like the amazing invisible ring), removed features like Create-an-Arena, Create-a-Finisher, Create-a-Belt and Create-a-Diva (wow), had matches available in the season, but not in exhibition mode (what?!?!) to limiting how many CAWs you could make to a sad, pathetic level. They then had the audacity to explain away the omissions as having to start from scratch with the next-gen systems, yet reused move animations from 10 years ago.

And not to get too far into the Hogan situation… I think they have gone overboard a tad. Sure, he needed to be punished for those remarks, but firing him from Tough Enough would have been plenty. Removing him from their history, the next game and the Hall of Fame… seems a bit much. Maybe they went this far for publicity, since now everyone is talking about the WWE. He needed a public spanking, not get nuked from orbit. He didn’t kill his family.

But I digress… the commercial was pretty sweet. But would I want to play as the Terminator in a wrestling game? Nope. It’s supposed to be grounded in reality somewhat, ignoring the Irish Whip, of course. Why not just add in the Predator, Fred Durst and some Muppets while we’re at it?

From what I understand, WWE removing him from their history is only temporary until this whole thing gets settled. I don’t quite remember where I read or heard that though.

@Dillon_J_Mahonay, it sounds like they are fixing some of their biggest flaws. I’ll believe it when I see it though.

Probably the biggest piece of news is the roster, which will top out at over 120 unique playable characters. I asked what “unique” meant exactly, and I liked the answer: that in most cases, it means an actually different person, not several different versions of the same character. If the same performer has two completely different gimmicks, those would be counted as separate unique characters, but the same wrestler from different eras wouldn’t count towards that 120. So, completely hypothetically, Dude Love, Cactus Jack, and Mankind would represent three unique characters, but 90s Triple H and current Triple H would actually be just one. Again, no confirmation about any of those names/eras, but hopefully that illustrates just how big this roster is gonna be. And yes, we already know that there will be current NXT members on the roster. Finn Bálor fans rejoice!

Reversals have long been a tough to balance element, either turning matches into a never-ending chain of non-moves, or being so tricky to use that one player ends up watching helplessly as they get beat to a pulp for minutes at a time. This year, two huge changes to how reversals work may actually solve the issue once and for all. You start each match with a limited stock of reversals. Once you use one, it will slowly regenerate over time, meaning that if you try to counter every move thrown your way, you’ll be out in no time flat, leaving you completely vulnerable until one regenerates. What’s more, you can now pass on your initial chance to reverse a move at its startup, and instead attempt a mosre difficult to time “major” reversal mid-move. It will cost you two reversal stocks, but the effects can be match-changing, debuffing your opponent in a variety of possible ways and giving you time to really turn things around.

• MyCareer is back, and this time it goes a lot further, all the way to you gaining admission to the WWE Hall of Fame.
  • Create a Diva, Create a Show, Create an Arena, and Create a Championship are back in!
  • WWE Universe: Wrestlers can now be booked to multiple shows
  • Online has been “overhauled.”
  • Three-man commentary team, with John “Bradshaw” Layfield joining King and Cole.
  • Ladder, handicap, and tornado tag match types added back in.
  • No loading screens between entrances, and you can assault opponents during their entrance!
  • Improved ref and manager AI.

I like the beginning of the Attitude Era here with Jake Roberts vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin.

And the roster ain’t looking half bad so far.

Jake “The Snake” Roberts - as seen in the video
Diamond Dallas Page
Alicia Fox
Cesaro
Tyson Kidd
Cameron
Big Show
Bam Bam Bigelow
Darren Young
Dolph Ziggler
Finlay
Layla
Kevin Nash
Lex Luger
The Miz
Naomi
Randy Orton
Sheamus
Titus O’Neil
Adam Rose
Neville
Bo Dallas
Brie Bella
Brock Lesnar
Goldust
Heath Slater
Hideo Itami
Jack Swagger
Kevin Owens
Nikki Bella
Ric Flair
Sami Zayn
Roman Reigns
Stardust
Sting
Tyler Breeze
The Ultimate Warrior
Zack Ryder
Booker T
Colonel Mustafa
Emma
Eva Marie
General Adnan
Kalisto
Kane
Lord Steven Regal
Sin Cara
Summer Rae
Tamina Snuka
Triple H
Steve Austin
Seth Rollins
Daniel Bryan
Dean Ambrose
Bad News Barrett
Paige
Finn Balor
Alexa Bliss
The Rock
Andre the Giant

Okay, they are kinda selling me on this new game. We’ll see how it ACTUALLY turns out though.

For starters, reversals are now an actual resource you need to manage. More technically sound wrestlers might have a stock of five, while others might have four or three. Every time you successfully reverse a move, you lose one stock, which will begin to regenerate very slowly over time. The result is that matches between two good players won’t turn into an endless chain of reversals, occasionally highlighted by a successful move when someone makes a mistake. It keeps the pace of the match moving a lot more like what you see in an actual match.

The next layer is the addition of “major” reversals. Not every move can be reversed in this way, but the ones that can be have unique reversal indicators. The first will show up during the normal reversal window at the start of a move, but if you wait, there will be a second, smaller window somewhere in the middle. It’s much tougher to hit, and costs two reversal stocks, but the effort is worth it, giving you a momentum boost that can swing the direction of the match.

This played a big role in how I approached the matches I played. Since I wanted to keep two reversals stocked at all times in case a major reversal opportunity popped up, I’d let smaller moves hit me unless I was really taking a beating. Likewise, I found myself holding off on big moves I knew could be major reversed until my opponent only had a single stock left to prevent them from hitting one. Don’t want your finisher reversed? Save it for when your opponent is out of reversals to guarantee that you’ll hit with it. No previous entry in the series has made me think this way.

Just like last year, stamina is also a resource you have to manage, and Working Holds are a great tool for doing so. Wrestling smarks know what these are about, it’s a prolonged hold that gives both performers a chance to catch their breath for the latter part of the match. In WWE 2K16, the principle is similar, you can slap on a Working Hold to give yourself time to regain stamina while draining your opponent’s. Not only is this a great tactic to employ if you find yourself falling behind an opponent with better conditioning, but again, it adds another element of the pacing and storytelling that goes on in an actual match.

Submissions are the final piece of the puzzle that’s really come along. Though last year, the submissions system was “all-new” in theory, in practice it was just more button mashing. This year, it’s completely new and totally skill based. It’s hard to describe, but imagine a circular icon shows up and you and your opponent each control a rotatable wedge of it. In order to submit your opponent you have to keep their section covered with yours, so you’ll be jockeying back and forth with the analog stick in a sort of cat-and-mouse fashion.

Practically speaking, this means a few things. For one, the mashing is finally over, and submitting someone is now about working a part of their body, and having the dexterity to outmaneuver them in the mini-game, which is a lot more like how submission holds actually work. More exciting is the fact that you can theoretically submit someone early in a match if you outplay them if you get good at that mini-game. Not only is that potentially exciting, but it also helps characters with submission finishers, who almost never got the win off their first finisher due to the nature of the old system.

Here’s the latest roster additions:

• Billy Gunn
  • Bret Hart
  • The British Bulldog
  • Cactus Jack
  • Christian
  • Damien Sandow
  • Dude Love
  • D-Lo Brown
  • Farooq
  • Haku
  • The Honky Tonk Man
  • Jake Roberts
  • Jim Neidhart
  • Kama Mustafa
  • Ken Shamrock
  • Mankind
  • Paul Wight
  • Rikishi
  • Shane McMahon
  • Shawn Michaels
  • Vader
  • Vince McMahon
  • X-Pac

Ho Boy! This game seems to be a broken mess (according to NeoGAF… I’d never buy this new). So, to celebrate, I will post a flurry of hilarious GIFs for all to enjoy:

(not sure if this is from this year’s game or last)

I really want a new video for this game like this:

Ha, gifs like that almost make we want to borrow the game from someone just to experience it myself. I have heard the gameplay is garbage too, very slow paced and methodical, not really what you want from a wrestling game. Any truth to that from the previous ones?

How did a game this buggy get released? Looks at box art, see’s YUKES logo, nods.

The game that keeps on giving.

-groan-

New York, NY and Stamford, Conn. – January 28, 2016 – 2K and WWE® (NYSE: WWE) today announced that the companies have extended their partnership with a new multi-year exclusive agreement granting 2K the worldwide rights to develop and publish WWE video game properties across all major platforms and distribution channels. WWE® 2K, the simulation-based flagship series developed by 2K’s Visual Concepts studio and Yuke’s, will continue a successful 18-year tradition established by past WWE titles, including the recently released WWE® 2K16. In addition, 2K will continue to invest in WWE® SuperCard, the breakout hit card-battling game developed by its Cat Daddy Games studio, which has been downloaded more than nine million times since its initial release. Financial terms of the new agreement were not disclosed.

“2K’s partnership with WWE over the past three years has resulted in a successful and important addition to the Company’s portfolio of profitable franchises,” said David Ismailer, Chief Operating Officer for 2K. “We are thrilled with the positive momentum of the WWE 2K series, including generating year-over-year growth, as well as the success of WWE SuperCard. We are very pleased to extend our partnership with WWE and look forward to many more years of collaboration.”

“2K’s leadership in authenticity, quality and overall brand dedication has been a perfect complement for WWE,” said Casey Collins, WWE Executive Vice President, Consumer Products. “Our continued partnership ensures WWE remains at the forefront of global video game brands as we continue innovating and publishing our offerings on multiple platforms.”

WWE 2K16, the newest addition to the simulation-based WWE 2K franchise, released in October 2015 for the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, Xbox One and Xbox 360. Heavily praised for its annual growth by critics and consumers alike, WWE 2K16 delivers the most authentic, comprehensive and action-packed WWE video game experience to date, including the largest roster of WWE Superstars, Divas and Legends in WWE games history, the story-driven 2K Showcase based on WWE 2K16 cover Superstar Stone Cold Steve Austin® and significant additions to the game’s Creation Suite and online offerings, as well as a host of gameplay enhancements.

WWE SuperCard initially launched in August 2014, with multiple add-ons to date, and is available now for download free of charge on the App Store for iOS devices, including the iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch®, as well as the Google Play Store and Amazon Appstore for Android™ devices. Featuring more than 700 cards in active play, the game challenges players to build teams of WWE Superstars, Divas and Legends, train them to their full potential, battle in various match types and test their luck in fast-paced tournament action. In addition, players can enhance their free-to-play experience through purchase of individual card packs. WWE SuperCard has seen more than nine million downloads to date and currently holds an average rating of 4.5/5 stars on the App Store, as well as a 4/5 rating on Google Play.

For more information on WWE 2K16, visit WWE.2K.com, become a fan on Facebook, follow the game on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtags #WWE2K16 and #RaiseSomeHell or subscribe on YouTube.

2K be like

I’m not making a new thread for this year’s title… so here is WWE 2K17!

Roster:
WWE Superstars
Aiden English
AJ Styles
Alberto Del Rio
Baron Corbin
Big Cass
Big E
Big Show
Bo Dallas
Braun Strowman
Bray Wyat
Brock Lesnar
Bubba Ray Dudley
Cesaro
Chris Jericho
Curtis Axel
D-Von Dudley
Darren Young
Dean Ambrose
Diego
Dolph Ziggler
Enzo Amore
Erick Rowan
Fandango
Fernando
Goldust
Heath Slater
Jack Swagger
Jey Uso
Jimmy Uso
John Cena
Kalisto
Kane
Kevin Owens
Kofi Kingston
Konnor
Luke Harper
Mark Henry
Neville
R-Truth
Randy Orton
Roman Reigns
Rusev
Sami Zayn
Seth Rollins
Shane McMahon
Sheamus
Simon Gotch
Sin Cara
Stardust
Sting
The Miz
The Rock
Titus O’Neil
Triple H
Tyler Breeze
Tyson Kidd
Viktor
Vince McMahon
Undertaker
Xavier Woods
Zack Ryder

WWE Women
Alicia Fox
Becky Lynch
Brie Bella
Charlotte
Emma
Naomi
Natalya
Nikki Bella
Paige
Sasha Banks
Stephanie McMahon
Summer Rae
Tamina

NXT Superstars
Buddy Murphy
Chad Gable
Dash Wilder
Finn Balor
Hideo Itami
Jason Jordan
Samoa Joe
Scott Dawson
Wesley Blake

NXT Women
Alexa Bliss
Asuka
Bayley
Carmella
Dana Brooke
Eva Marie

WWE Legends (Superstars)
Andre the Giant
Arn Anderson
Bam Bam Bigelow
Big Boss Man
Billy Gunn
Booker T
Bret Hart
Brian Pillman
British Bulldog
Butch
Cactus Jack
Christian
Daniel Bryan
Diamond Dallas Page
Diesel
Dude Love
Dusty Rhodes
Earthquake
Edge
Jake Roberts
JBL
Jim Neidhart
Larry Zbyszko
Lex Luger
Luke
Mankind
Mr. Perfect
Randy Savage
Razor Ramon
Ric Flair
Rick Rude
Ricky Steamboat
Rikishi
Road Dogg Jesse James
Shawn Michaels
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Tatsumi Fujinami
The Ultimate Warrior
Typhoon
Vader

WWE Legends (Women)
Alundra Blayze
Lita
Trish Stratus

DLC WWE Superstars
Karl Anderson
Luke Gallows

DLC NXT Superstars
Apollo Crews
Austin Aries
Mojo Rawley
Shinsuke Nakamura
The Dillinger

DLC NXT Women
Nia Jax

DLC Legends
Albert
Brutus Beefcake
Buddy Roberts
Eddie Guerrero
Goldberg (WCW) (Pre-Order Bonus)
Goldberg (WWE) (Pre-Order Bonus)
Greg Valentine
Jimmy Garven
Kerry Von Erich
Kevin Von Erich
Michael Hayes
Papa Shango
Sycho Sid
Tatanka
The Godfather

DLC Women Legends
Ivory
Jacqueline

This is, by far, the best wrestling game roster in the history of wrestling video games. The obvious omission, however, is Hulk Hogan since he’s still blacklisted apparently.

Someone should just make a game where you play as the Hulkster and you just fold Gawker in half repeatedly.

In WWE 2k17, they have a DLC called “Dream Match” which pits Papa Shango vs. The Godfather. For those of you not-in-the-know… those 2 characters were played by the same guy. Anyhoo, I think they should have a different dream match: Hulk Hogan vs. Nick Denton and Albert J. Daulerio in a 2 vs. 1 handicap match.