October 27, 2017

Platforms

PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch

Developers

MachineGames, Panic Button

Genres

First-Person Shooter

Find out more at Giant Bomb

I am really excited to play this game after finishing the first recently, and am even tempted to pick up the season pass after reading about the DLC, but I am also trying to kick the habit of paying full price for new releases, considering most of them drop considerably as soon as a couple weeks after release.

I am curious, what do you guys feel is the main benefit of picking up games on release date at full price? Avoiding FOMO, quenching curiosity, just being able to partake in the conversation (which I know is a side effect of FOMO)? With how quickly game prices fluctuate these days, at what point are those benefits just no longer worth it?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Adam Smith | Unscored | PC

Earlier, I said Wolfenstein 2 is a hair’s breadth away from being one of my favourite singleplayer action games of all time. The hair seems to have become much thicker as I think back, but the truth is that if there were even a handful of first-person shooters this strange and spectacular released in any given year, I’d barely find time to play anything else. In a week that has seen speculation about the future of this type of big budget singleplayer game, for all its flaws, this is a reminder of how powerful and vital they can be.

Cheat Code Central - Lucas White | 5 / 5 stars

When I jumped in, I wasn’t sure what to expect, especially with so much of the marketing playing up the comedic elements. What I got was more of what I liked in The New Order, but on a much larger scale, with ambitions that cared little for AAA conventions and comforts. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a project that wears its heart on its sleeve, and that sleeve is on a bright yellow motorcycle jacket with a red devil on the back that is being worn by a Texan Terminator who finds great joy in hacking away at Nazi soldiers with a hatchet.

Game Informer - Javy Gwaltney | 9.8 / 10 | PS4

Wolfenstein II brings the gruesome thrills and spins an unforgettable story filled with believable characters fighting for a better world.

GameZone - Cade Onder | 9.5 / 10 | PS4

Despite some small issues that can be patched up pretty easily, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a breathtaking game that combines Oscar worthy storytelling with game of the year quality gameplay.

DualShockers - Logan Moore | 9.5 / 10 | PS4

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus has become the new benchmark for single-player shooter campaigns. The sheer amount of freedom that players have to go along with the excellent gunplay make it one of the best shooters in years on those merits alone. Add in what is one the year’s most compelling, important narratives and you have a recipe for an instant classic on your hands. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus isn’t just 2017’s best shooter, it’s a game that will be looked back upon as one of the standout titles of this generation when it comes to an end.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Tyler Treese | 9.5 / 10 | PS4

I had high expectations going into Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, but MachineGames managed to outdo them in every way imaginable. They’ve created one of the most ridiculous video games ever made, and one that is never afraid to be clear about its message of equality & justice. While it’s easy to focus on the over-the-top story beats and memorable scenes, The New Colossus is carried by an incredible amount of heart from start to finish.

Gadgets 360 - Rishi Alwani | 9 / 10 | PS4

Clocking in at around 15 hours, Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus is a big, booming shooter with a well-paced plot, slick levels, and great gunplay.

GamesBeat - Jeff Grubb | 90 / 100

Wolfenstein II shines whenever you can feel how resistant the people of the United States are to the idea of overthrowing their new emperor. That is effective both dramatically and as a commentary on our current politics. Machine also brought the most amazing characters, quality storytelling, and well-paced gameplay to The New Colossus. You’ll want to spend time with these people and discover their fate — sometimes that will your heart and sometimes that will break it. But you’ll always feel something.

Twinfinite - Tom Hopkins | 4.5 / 5 | PC

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a fluid, brutal, and challenging first-person shooter and one that is insane and over-the-top from start to finish, but it is the unique cast of characters and the story they’re a part of that shines. B.J and his crew of revolutionaries add heart and humor to the otherwise bleak world and help create some of the most memorable moments in single-player focused games this year. Machine Games has built on what made The New Order great to produce one of this generation’s finest shooters.

USgamer - Caty McCarthy | 4.5 / 5 stars | PS4

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus builds on the first game, making for another superb linear first-person shooter campaign. It’s an empowering journey that BJ goes on—rising from his near death experience from The New Order to be stronger than ever, befriending others who are just as tough and ready to take back what the Nazis stole from them: their country.

Polygon - Ben Kuchera | 9 / 10 | PS4

And that’s the strength of this sequel. It balances a steady stream of suffering and hurt with exuberant humanity. It deals with our darkest impulses and our best, and plays them both up to a ridiculous degree. There’s nothing subtle about Wolfenstein 2, but it’s all affecting in a way that makes the game feel special and coherent. There are moments in the game that made my heart swell, while others were so grisly I had to look away.

Xbox Achievements - Dan Webb | 88 / 100 | XB1

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a stellar follow-up to MachineGames’ 2014 reboot of the franchise, one with super-satisfying combat and a wacky, engaging story. Sure, it might go a little too far at times, but you’ll have a blast with The New Colossus from start to finish, that’s a promise.

GameSpace - Chris Saxon | 8.5 / 10 | PC

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a great game. If you’re a fan of the series, this is a great addition to the family. If you’ve never played the rebooted series before, I would recommend starting with Wolfenstein: The New Order, if you don’t you won’t be able to follow the story very well at all. While Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus has its flaws, I think it’s a definite buy.

CGMagazine - Brendan Quinn | 8.5 / 10 | PS4

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus is a gorgeous, fluid shooter with an delightful story and characters filled with good ‘ol Nazi killing satisfaction.

PC Gamer - Samuel Roberts | 81 / 100 | PC

The New Colossus is a fun and frantic FPS, even if it doesn’t feel quite as fresh as The New Order did.

Game Revolution - Jason Faulkner | 4 / 5 stars | XB1

Other than a few technical issues, I have to say the game exceeded my expectations. Sure, the story can be a little all over the place, but that’s the cost of taking the franchise in a little more in-depth direction. The New Colossus firmly establishes the alternate universe that we were introduced to in The New Order and is an excellent foundation for future entries in the series.

Attack of the Fanboy - William Schwartz | 4 / 5 stars | XB1

We’ve already seen that Machine Games can craft a great playing shooter, but with Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus they’ve also got a more interesting and varied story to tell this time around.

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive | 4 / 5 | PS4

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus delivers an enjoyable action packed first person shooter experience.

Den of Geek - Matthew Byrd | 4 / 5 stars | PS4

MachineGames’ take on the Wolfenstein series continues to deliver so many of the things that are missing from AAA development scene. It’s an unflinching experience that feels as if it was crafted by the only group of creators that could have delivered it. I may have come to expect greatness from the Wolfenstein name once more, but I wasn’t exactly expecting New Colossus to be quite as good as it is.