What should we work on next?

What should we work on next?
0.0 0

I know I am taking this completely overboard, but I like to pretend that ya’ll care enough to weigh in.

I’m trying to prioritize the next project I want to tackle here. My main goal is to make this site as friendly and intriguing as possible for first time visitors, but yet build on the core functionality that really serves the returning visitors (you chumps).

That being said, the current options on the table are:

#1 Header Content

I removed the tiles seen above because I found them redundant, and nobody was really using them. I do, however, really like the look of them and the idea of having some useful content above the topic list.

If you want to see these come back, you will have to help me decide on what content you would want to appear here, as just showing the latest posts wasn’t cutting it.

#2 Extended Badges

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/141g3a2Z2Q332l1P0k31/Image%202015-08-17%20at%203.15.37%20PM.png

Currently I have hardly touched the default settings for badges on the site. Many people have created some very clever badges for their communities, however, and have shared the code for me to easily use and modify.

If I were to spend some serious time fleshing these out, I would like to figure out an easy and attractive way for you to view the progress being made on said badges. Is this at all intriguing to you?

#3 Integrated Giant Bomb Search

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/0r301M2f1H1T221l2J30/Image%202015-08-17%20at%203.22.59%20PM.png

Currently I ask a user to go out to Giant Bomb and copy the URL for a game. What I would like to do is make Giant Bomb searchable directly from this site. I am already working on extending the search bar to be more visible and content rich, but a big step in the right direction would be to allow for you to not only search for content located on this site, but also content from Giant Bomb if you want to either start a new topic, or provide helpful links in post replies.

An extension of this feature would be to do more dynamic things with the links once they are used on the site, but the first step would be to have easy access to them. That is what this would be.

So, if you are still reading this, hopefully you have invested enough time to click a couple more times to rank these selections for me. Just to mix it up, I am going to allow you to vote on up to 2 of them.

• Header Content
  • Extended Badges
  • Integrated Giant Bomb Search

0 voters

Header content could be a “What’s Hot” so not the most recent posts, but what is receiving the most traffic (if that’s possible). I also liked the look of the header. It feels empty without it.

Badges seem like a nifty idea, but where do you display them besides your profile? Does anyone visit profiles? They feel kinda pointless if you can’t display your favorite or something under your name.

The GiantBomb search for starting a new gaming topic would be useful. I don’t plan on visiting any of their articles. They have become very jaded lately and their humor is great when they are ripping on something bad, but they come off poorly when they are ripping on something good (see PS4 E3 coverage). So, I’ve really stopped visiting their site due to all the negativity. Wait… I’m still talking about GiantBomb, right?

Yeah, I feel you about the rising cynicism in some of GiantBomb’s stuff, although I think it’s just mostly Brad and Jeff. Dan was a great addition, as is Drew. I do like Jeff’s personality and opinions though, it’s still entertaining the way he rags on stuff he hates, even if it’s on something I love, but Brad has turned into a disgruntled half-man, half-beard hybrid, and I can’t pinpoint what the catalyst was.

I miss Ryan.

EDIT: Also, I have no additional comments regarding the site. I am generally easy to please and don’t feel like I have creative enough opinions to share with the group.

I agree with @DarthSmurfX about the lack of headers makes the site feel “empty”. I’d like that to come back to some extent. Trending topics would be the best bet there. Maybe have them be excluded from the header section after a certain amount of time so we don’t run into a situation where only mega topics Bogart the top.

Well, even though the poll has been a wash so far, the vocal few of you seem to want header content back. I have been playing around with an idea of what to put in that header content, so you might be seeing some strange things appear in the next couple days as I play around with it. The first being a Quotes category that is going to be read only. Just go with me on this one…

I love what you’ve done with the header.

I’m glad you like it. It wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it might be. I’ll keep it around for a little bit and see what other people think.

I like that it does two things:

1. Provides some exposer to posts on the front page
  2. Highlights members of the community

If we stick with this approach I would eventually like to make it more automated, as how it’s built now it takes a bit to maintain, but it works well enough for a trial run.

I think the quote bar at the top needs to be refreshed. We’ve had some good quotes since “meh.”

Yeah, I’ve been thinking that as well. How about this, I’ll fix up the code so that any OG can contribute to it? I also need to update Discourse as it’s been awhile, but haven’t had time to get my local test instance up and running yet.

I’m close to having an updated instance up and running, which will allow for any OG to post quotes (for better or worse).

Now I am going to shift gears and spew a little existential crisis on you. If you are not interested in my often incoherent ramblings, feel free to skip the rest of this post.

For a while now I have been trying to answer a couple questions:

###What is it about video games and the industry that continues to pique my interest, even though I continue to have less and less time to play them?

###How can I build something that will serve that interest and possibly provide value to others?

This site started as an outlet for me to have something of my own, that I could experiment with and figure out where I wanted to take it. Then Lifebar came around and I started to direct most of my energy there. Now Lifebar is starting to take a direction that I’m not exactly passionate about, so I need a new project that I can sink my teeth in to and hopefully answer some of the questions above.

I am laying this all out on the table now is because I am wondering if you feel like this site, specifically with the Discourse foundation, can be more than just a message board, or if you even want it to be more than just a message board? I am more than happy to pay for this site until the cows come home, but ultimately I need an outlet to work on something that can be more than just that.

I can extend the crap out of Discourse, and given the time, can practically build anything that you can imagine, but to what end? My largest hangup is that whatever I build for Discourse, it often translates poorly to mobile, and ultimately I want something that works just as well on mobile as it does on desktop, if not better. I don’t want to be tied to my computer to use what I build, specifically when I want it to provide value as your are playing games, and not just after the fact.

A lot of this may be too abstract for anyone to really weigh in on, but I just wanted to put my cards on the table to see if anyone had any ideas of how to move forward, either with this site or another project.

I’m essentially just using this topic as a personal journal, that happens to be publicly available.

I have decided to completely rebuild the theme/appearance of this site and cut out all the fat. What this means is that it will take a little while longer before you see any changes, but when you see the changes, you will know. I am planning to get back to some more experimental changes that may only serve as an outlet for myself, but hopefully you will find some of them useful. I will also be adding some more feedback options, so instead of having to reply to my wall of text, you can just click a button if something sounds interesting to you. Dear Journal, That’s about all I have to say for now.

P.S. because I believe you are supposed to do that in journals.

I’m working on a project, and I need your help. I need labels of 5 progression states for each player motivation of

• Action
  • Social
  • Mastery :white_check_mark:
  • Achievement
  • Creativity
  • Academic

For example, for the Mastery motivation, the 5 progression states of a game could be something like:

1. Still learning
  2. Basic Understanding
  3. Improving
  4. Perfecting
  5. Mastered

I’m pretty happy with those labels, so I will consider that finished. Essentially I’m looking for an alternative way to track your progress in a game that doesn’t use completion % or hrs played. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I know I also posted this before, but here is a reference outlining the motivations a bit more:

I got nothin’.

Alright guys, I’m paying $10 a month for this cesspool of nonsense, so I need to start squeezing more out of it. I’m not saying I need to figure out forms of reimbursement, I just need to figure out ways to add some value here.

I know I’ve essentially asked the same question before and I’m not fully expecting any responses worth a damn, but I just thought I would throw this out there again in case anybody was sitting on any gems. That must be uncomfortable, depending on the size of the gem, so feel free to relieve yourself of that burden.

I’ll try to think of something.

I’m guessing it’s just me, but I always get this odd sense of anxiety around E3. There are so many games I want to play, so many games I own and never play, and a growing sense of reality that I won’t make time for that ever to change. No idea why I’m bringing that up now, but if someone could solve that problem for me using the tools of a modernly designed message board, that would be just dandy.