Unravel

Unravel
0.0 0

Unravel

A puzzle-platformer featuring a yarn cat, developed by Coldwood Interactive and published by Electronic Arts.

First Released

February 9, 2016

Platforms

PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4

Developers

Coldwood Interactive AB

Genres

Puzzle, Platformer

Find out more at Giant Bomb

I’m on board. To me it looks like a cross of Little big planet art style and Limbo game play. How can it go wrong ?

The Witness
Yoshi's Wooly World

Just saying. Great looking game, interesting gimmick, potentially shallow gameplay. Too many similarities for me not to be skeptical.

The puzzle solving piece will make or break Unravel, though. Hopefully it’s deep enough to not get old.

Don’t get me wrong, Puppeteer was actually really well received, I just grew bored of it far too quickly.

Unravel will cost $19.99, and will be available early — and at a 10 percent discount — on Xbox One to EA Access subscribers. PlayStation Store and Origin customers can pre-order the game now.

For a game this small… is it wise to release it early on EA Access? I figure… you may be able to beat it in 10 hours or is the playable duration shorter? I think this could kill actual sales on the XB1. Or do you have to buy the game to get it early, unlike Star Wars Battlefront?

I have no idea how EA Access works.

The part where it says “will be available early — and at a 10 percent discount” seems to mean that you buy the game to get it early. So, they’re not losing any sales.

More fuel for Smurf’s Polygon hate fire…

http://lifebar.io/#game/30535/Unravel

Polygon 6/10

…it can be hard to shine a light on the bigger picture things Unravel does well when it gets so many basic things fundamentally tangled up.

GamesRader 4.5/5

Beautiful, poignant and with an iron grip on your heart, Yarny manages to effortlessly deliver a wonderful platformer…

IGN 8.3/10

Unravel combines nature and nostalgia to great effect in this moving puzzle adventure.

Destructoid 10/10

…manages to impart a story that touches strings deep in the heart, and Unravel manages to meet and exceed this feat.

I’m not going to defend Polygon, because it is a garbage site, but Playstation Lifestyle gave it a 7.5/10. It seems this game really is as subjective experience as the scores are indicating.

Yeah, once again, I feel like Destructoid’s review is the most enlightening to me, as far as how personal and polarizing the game can be:

Unravel cherishes the best moments in life while recognizing the hard battles we sometimes face as families, all wrapped up within delightful gameplay and stunning scenery. The atmosphere is so compelling that I couldn’t help but feel like a piece of my own story was wrapped up in the game with the rest of the photo album. It’s rare but a special thing when a game manages to impart a story that touches strings deep in the heart, and Unravel manages to meet and exceed this feat. Get ready to have all the feels.

I’ve read a couple of reviews and it seems that the consensus is that the game tells an engaging, emotional story that’s somewhat marred (depending upon the player) by technical issues. I’ll be getting it.

You get this today, @LASSIE? Even though I don’t have money for it, I would love to hear a first hand impression.

Even if I buy it today, you’ll probably get it and finish before I play enough to give an impression.

Anybody ever end up playing this? It’s only $5 now, so I’m tempted.

Yeah. I really enjoyed it. Well worth $5.