Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

0.0 0

Naughty Dog charts treasure hunter Nathan Drake's final adventure in the fourth entry of this action-adventure, swash-buckling saga.

First Released

May 10, 2016

Platforms

PlayStation 4

Developers

Naughty Dog, Inc.

Genres

Shooter, Action-Adventure

Find out more at Giant Bomb

Since MS took Tomb Raider away from me and I’ve never played an Uncharted game before, I’m really looking forward to this one.

“We’ve completely revamped our facial animation systems," he explained. "The previous Uncharted games, and in The Last Of Us, the characters all had about 90 to 100 ‘bones’ in their faces which we used to move the meshes around.

"Think about that, about how detailed Joel and Ellie’s pained facial expressions were, how well the game captured the respective actors’ – Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson – seminal roles. All that was achieved on the old tech. Now, the faces have anywhere between 300 and 500 bones.”

I enjoyed the first two games and will definitely check this one out. I hope they dial down the sponge setting on the enemies from the first games. Those guys could eat a lot of bullets.

Here’s the full article:

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/features/can-drake-save-next-gen/

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/drake_u3_u4_compare_logo_1421239309-1024x576.jpg

Cambier – more versed in the design side of the game – chimes in. “We’re still trying to figure out exactly what we can do with [the PS4]” he admits. “From a design perspective, it’s given us the opportunity to push the scale of the environment so you’ve got choices in the combat setups that are incredibly vast. So we can put that in when we want to. Like Josh points out, on the design side, as well, we can really get the player into a mood: so yeah, there’s still times we’ll push the player into a very intimate combat space – if we want to layer on extra pressure for an escape sequence or something – it just gives us a wider variety of trees, density, variety, foliage, background environments and how vivid and detailed they are… it gives us all that to play with.

http://www.gamesradar.com/uncharted-4-release-date

UPDATE: And officially announced!

More UPDATE:

The team at Bluepoint Games is incomparable regarding their portfolio of ports and remastered releases, and we’ve been working closely with them to bring over our engine to make Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection an exemplary game. That means not only delivering the single-player campaigns of Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception in 1080p and 60fps with better lighting, textures, and models, but also adding a range of improvements and additions across all three games including Photo Mode and new trophies. We put together the list of these improvements and additions based on countless forum posts, messages, Tweets, and even through personal conversations we’ve had with a number of you over the years. More on these specifics in future updates.

By pre-ordering Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection today, you can receive the Nathan Drake Pack which includes single player skins of iconic Drake outfits as well as everyone’s favorite weapons: the Golden AK-47 and Golden 92FS guns. If you pre-order the digital download via the PlayStation Store, you will also get an Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection PS4 dynamic theme as an immediate download.

This made me forget all about the Tomb Raider footage in MS’s conference.

An interesting article regarding the departure of their lead writer:

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End lost eight months of work when series writer Amy Hennig left developer Naughty Dog.

Speaking during a panel held at Metrocon, voice actor Nolan North indicated that the project was reworked when The Last of Us creative director Neil Druckmann and game director Bruce Straley took over.

According to North, the development team had “shot eight months of her story and it was all thrown away.”

“Amy is still a very dear friend of mine and she’s brilliant,” North continued. “But the Last of Us guys were the next team there, so they took over and they just wanted their own flavour. They got rid of some of the other people that were involved and just redid their thing.”

Discussing the changes, North said Uncharted 4 will “be fun,” but added “the tone is going to be slightly different” from Hennig’s original vision.

On the one hand, I have loved Amy’s work and am nervous about the change. On the other hand, I completely trust the Last of Us team and am excited about the change.

Photo Mode confirmed. In other news, water is wet.

Uncharted 4’s multiplayer mode, however, is targeting 60fps. This is the same figure that Naughty Dog said it was aiming for back at E3.

“We’re actually doing real-time cutscenes in Uncharted 4, which is a new step for us,” he said. "You’re not going to see those black bars that we used to have in between gameplay and cutscenes. That’s going to let us be so much more expressive and really get that seamlessness between the storytelling and the gameplay. Which we already do very well, but it’s going to allow us to take it to that next level.

That super great-looking Nathan Drake that’s in the cutscenes–that’s going to be the guy you have the whole time. The lighting model is nearly identical. All of that emotion you get across in the cutscenes, you’ll have in gameplay all the time.

Some Uncharted Collection footage. Skip to 1:30 to see it and turn down your volume if the French language annoys you.

Uncharted 4 goes much further than any PS4 or Xbox One game we’ve seen in its use of physics, and the layering of world detail with shaders. Opening at the gates of a bustling Madagascan marketplace, what unfolds is unlike any major title seen on console to date. Where the December demo focused on wide spaces, foliage systems, and its more flexible AI, the E3 demo goes to town with object physics applied across the world, as flaunted brilliantly with a jeep chase to ‘Sam’s tower’ at the bottom of the city.

The extent of Uncharted 4’s use of physics goes much deeper than you’d expect. One of the more surprising applications of this is one that goes unnoticed; rice bags actually deflate using a mesh distortion system Naughty Dog has in place, as detailed during a recent Headspace panel with the team. It’s an effect also applied on Nathan Drake’s face when pressed against the floor during the game’s first blue-hued E3 2014 reveal. In essence, for this demo, it allows each sack to sink as rice leaks out from bullet-holes, where each shot cues a physics-based impact on the bag, while deflation is simulated using mesh distortion.

Much excite for this game.

Hype train! :wink:

Where am I going to put all these Hype Train tickets? Battlefront, Uncharted, No Man’s Sky…

I’m not sure why, but I’m just “meh” for Uncharted. I think it’s because I know exactly what to expect, unless they really surprise me with some dark twists influenced from the Last of Us team. The games have always been gorgeous, but they have also been essentially going from one kill room to another with some light platforming mixed in.

I hope I’m pleasantly surprised, but I will spend my train tickets on another ride for now.

Whoa. Reverse Hype Train.

I did not see that coming!

I won’t pretend like I won’t be getting it day 1, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it!

I see the “like this post” button, but where’s the “kick @Rewfus off the forums” button?