Top 10s

Top 10s

Here ya go.

Okay. I don’t love platformers, but that one doesn’t look like a traditional platformer like Super Meat Boy or whatever. Is it more puzzle-solving or what?

Nothing like Super Meat Boy at all. It’s a fairly simple platformer with some light puzzle elements sprinkled in. I’m going back to my previous comparison, but think of Journey in 2D.

1 Like
  1. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I was truly worried when this was announced as a Soulsborne-style Star Wars game as hair-pullingly difficult games are not my forte. I was even more worried after about an hour or two of playing and I was getting my Jedi butt handed to me by the simplest of enemies, especially that infernal frog. But all of that worry was force choked away and by the second half of the game I truly felt like a Jedi, whipping Stormtroopers around the landscape with ease. And that ending—jeepers—chills the entire final section.
  2. Concrete Genie - Want to know how to get into my top 3? Release a great single-player game with a wonderful story and heartfelt characters. Also, it helps that there’s a VR mode and the ability to be creative. Need some stress relief after a hard day at work/school or just after reading some news headlines? This is that game.
  3. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled - One of my favorite games of all time got rereleased with HD graphics, courses and characters from the sequel, online matchmaking, custom carts and a steady flow of DLC that has made my head spin. Of course it’s in my top 3.
  4. Dreams - I’m not sure this game will count with the final FINAL version being released in February, but I played it in 2019. And while I didn’t create a ton, what I played and saw created blew my swiftly deteriorating, old man mind. This game is insane.
  5. Life is Strange 2 - The original and the prequel are 2 of my favorite games of all time, so I was eagerly anticipating the sequel with an all-new cast. Unfortunately, after playing Detroit: Become Human, I felt underwhelmed by the choices versus consequences. At no time did I feel like my actions were going to change the direction of where I was headed. I did watch alternate endings after I finished, so you can actually alter things, I just felt like you couldn’t. Having said all that, it’s a good story with good characters and if Choose-Your-Own-Adventure games are your jam you should check this out.
  6. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - It got me back into Destiny, even with a severe backlog of games vying for my attention.
  7. No Man’s Sky Beyond - It added VR. To No Man’s Sky. 'Nuff said.
  8. Untitled Goose Game - I’m a sucker for mindless shenanigans with to-do checklists like Octodad. Good, clean fun with a nifty soundtrack while you are goosing things up.
  9. Falcon Age - I haven’t finished this yet, but the baby Falcon is just too awesome not to include in my Top 10 list.

The best thing about Jedi? No achievement or trophy for beating the game on a specific difficulty.

1 Like

I’m bored, so here’s a discussion topic: Predict Your Top 10 of 2020.
What do you actually think will end up being your favorite games of the year? And then we’ll see how close we all were in January 2021. The real kicker here is predicting Next Gen launch titles.

Here’s mine:

2020 Top Ten:

1. Horizon Zero Dawn 2 - Yes. I’m betting this is a launch title for PS5. And it’ll be gorgeous.
  2. The Last of Us Part 2 - Need I say more?
  3. Ghost of Tsushima - I love great, single-player stories. And the graphics are [insert chef kiss here]
  4. Dreams - I’m addicted to this game. Darth Poop Emoji is just the beginning. I’m itching to see what the VR is like.
  5. Star Wars Project Maverick - I believe this exists and will be announced when the PS5 is. And I hope it has a VR X-wing mode. If it does, this could be higher on my list.
  6. Marvel’s Avengers - Destiny but with Superheroes… sign me up.
  7. Marvel’s Iron Man VR - I can be Iron Man? Also, flying feels amazing in VR, so I can’t wait to see how this feels.
  8. Predator: Hunting Grounds - Why not?
  9. WiLD - Where is it?
  10. Astro Bot Rescue Mission 2 - I doubt this will be 2020, but I needed a tenth. If this indeed does release, it will be higher than Avengers, probably.
2 Likes

Wow, you just gonna punk Cyberpunk like that, huh? Bold move, sir.

That game isn’t really speaking to me yet. Maybe I just haven’t watched the right footage.