Top 10s

Top 10s
0.0 0

My final list as posted on ResetEra:

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn - Wow. This game was perfect. Guerrilla Games really crafted something special here: Aloy, fighting robot dinosaurs with arrows, the music, the atmosphere, the lore… everything. I have zero complaints with this masterpiece and it’s a shame it will be overshadowed in a year with both Zelda and Mario. And on top of this being my favorite game in recent memory, they added The Frozen Wilds—the largest DLC I’ve ever played and that final fight was the most intense, white-knuckled encounter in the entire game. I cannot say enough good things about this new IP and hopefully long-lasting franchise.

2. Mass Effect: Andromeda - Yeah, yeah, yeah. In my defense, I played this long after the patches were released, so I didn’t experience many bugs/glitches at all. Mass Effect is my favorite series of all time and this game did not disappoint me. I loved the characters and the plot and I am livid that the bad press this game got deprived me of ever receiving story DLC featuring the last remaining Ark. I hate all of you for killing this game. I kid, I kid. But seriously, I hate you. You know who you are.

3. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - I did not like Chloe until almost the very end of the first LiS game, so I was worried about playing a game where she’s the main star. I was wrong. This game converted me into a huge Chloe fan and now I want her to return (somehow) in the sequel. The story was touching, the ending scene gave me the creeps and the music… the music in this game is hella phenomenal. I can’t wait to play the bonus chapter.

4. Star Wars Battlefront 2 - I know this game got a lot of hate, but I actually liked the campaign (it’s actually quite deep if you know all of the hidden Easter Eggs) and I absolutely LOVE Starfighter Assault. That mode alone is worth the $60. I’m addicted to it, I have fun playing it and I think about it when I’m not playing it. It only needs a few more maps, Criterion. Please. PLEASE!

5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - What’s better than Lara Croft? Two Lara Crofts. And the game not being called “Tomb Raider.” It’s just as good as Uncharted 4, only shorter. The game is gorgeous and I couldn’t get enough of the banter between two great female leads.

6. Destiny 2 - Destiny 2’s story absolutely destroys anything in its predecessor’s campaign. -cough- Grimoire cards -cough- And I’ve enjoyed all the time I’ve spent with it… it’s just missing something that the first game had that kept me addicted and coming back day after day. I can’t put my finger on what’s absent, but it doesn’t have the hook.

7. Injustice 2 - The sequel improves over the original in virtually every way. The story of 1 might still be my favorite fighter campaign ever, but this one is definitely on par. The loot boxes are given out generously and urge you to continue playing, plus the DLC support has been fantastic. Also, Supergirl rules.

8. Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - While not up to the story quality of Batman, it was still worth playing. Chapters 3 and 5 were my favorites with 4 being dreadful. There was some good character development you don’t get from the movies, but nowhere near as funny. Telltale needs a new engine—this one is super buggy, character movement is robotic and they need to take notes from Life is Strange.

9. Micro Machines World Tour - I was disappointed with this game at first because I had such fond memories of previous games. Once I discovered the brake, everything became more enjoyable. It’s real flaw is the absent user base. Releasing this game $10 or $20 cheaper or via PS+ would have saved it from obscurity. I really want to play this online with a full lobby of humans. Come on, Sony. Make it happen.

10. Marvel Heroes Omega - It would have been nice to have played this game a bit more before Disney nuked it from orbit, but from what little I did play, it was fun. Such a waste.

Here’s my list so far for 2018. This could change if I buy/play a few more before January.

1. Spider-man - This game. Seriously. If you haven’t played it, you are missing out on the best superhero game ever. I just finished The Heist and even the DLC is spectacular. Amazing, even. And even if there were no criminals and it was just swinging around New York—talking on the phone, taking selfies, hi-fiving—this would still be one of the best games of 2018.

2. Detroit: Become Human - I am blown away by how good the story is, no matter what path you choose and how much I cared about all of the characters by the end. Truly some awesome performances and one of my favorite games ever.

3. Shadow of the Colossus - Beautiful. Serene. Fun. And makes you really, REALLY hate yourself by the end.

4. Moss - What a delightful little game. My only real complaint is that it’s a tad too short. Oh, and why make a great trophy list and then include ONE IMPOSSIBLE TROPHY!!! They should have just named that one “Well, I Guess You’re Never Getting the Platinum, Now Go Cry in Arby’s Parking Lot” Also, I’m now hungry for beef. But I digress… this game was fun, had an interesting story, is a clever use of VR and Quill is totes adorbs.

5. Wipeout Omega Collection VR - Technically, this came out in 2017, BUT the VR update arrived in 2018, hence… I’m including it. This game is like having your own personal rollercoaster in your living room. So many tracks, such a feeling of speed and intensity and you can play in VR against your non-VR friends online. Barf Bags Not Include.

6. Tacoma - I highly recommend it if you enjoy walking si… er… interactive stories—especially if you like having your internal dialogue go from “I wonder what happened here” to “THEY’D BETTER HAVE FOUND A WAY TO SAVE THE CAT!”

7. OnRush - This game is great if you like Burnout. The reason it’s not higher on the list is there isn’t a traditional race option and not having cross-console play means empty lobbies and racing online against bots.

8. Creed: Rise to Glory - I almost tried one of the more embarrassing ways to die—having your wife come home to find you face down on the floor, PSVR headset still on, Move wands in hands, shirtless and the SECOND opponent you face standing over your digital body, taunting. Also—to put this ranking in perspective—I JUST got the PSVR and have not yet played Moss or AstroBot. Had I done so, I’m sure they’d be on this list.

9. The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - It’s free and I love DONTNOD games. I can’t wait to get Life is Strange 2 and see what happens next.

I haven’t actually played all that many games that released in 2018, but I can definitely name one that won’t be showing up on any list I come up with…

World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth

This expansion might be so devoid of anything interesting, rewarding or even fun, that this might just be the end of an era for me. After almost 15 years, I cannot, for any reason, see myself putting any more time and money into this game if Blizzard continues down the road of arrogant, misleading and mind-boggling rip-and-tear development attitude and decision making they’ve paved.

I just realized Superhot VR was released in 2017. My list is even shorter now.

Updated my list.

I feel like I need to update this list. I was thinking about my favorites last night and then compared it to what I wrote 3 years ago and my lists didn’t match up—some I was baffled as to how they made this initial list.

Top 10 All-time Games:

1. Mass Effect (X360)
  2. Portal 2 (X360)
  3. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
  5. The Last Guardian (PS4)
  6. Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
  7. Burnout Paradise (X360)
  8. Dig Dug (Arcade)
  9. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (PS1/X360)
  10. Burgertime (Arcade)

Honorable Mentions:
• KotoR (Xbox)
• Street Fighter 2 (SNES/Arcade)
• Micro Machines V3 (PS1)
• Twisted Metal 2 (PS1)
• Star Wars Battlefront (PS4) and Battlefront 2 (Xbox)
• Halo 1, 2 and 3 (Xbox/X360)
• SSX Tricky (PS2)

The only arcade cabinet I’ve ever owned.

If I were to ever buy an arcade cabinet, it would either be Dig Dug or BurgerTime, so I’m jealous.

I still don’t regret paying $75 for a converted MK2 cabinet. What I do slightly regret is sinking another $400 in to it for a MK1 board, UMK3 board, board switcher, original MK1 control panel and hardly touching it since. But hey, it’s a piece of history…right?

I’m bored, so here’s a discussion topic: Predict Your Top 10 of 2019.
What do you actually think will end up being your favorite games of the year? And then we’ll see how close we all were in January 2020.

Here’s mine:

2019 Top Ten:

1. Dreams - I’ve played the Beta… I’m going to spend a lot of time in this.
  2. Ghost of Tsushima - I feel like this is coming this year. Sucker Punch has been working on this for a VERY long time (inFamous SS was a launch title). And I love great, single-player stories.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I love Star Wars, so this should be #1, but EA’s track record hasn’t been too stellar as of late.
  4. Concrete Genie - I cannot wait for this game. It looks like it’ll have a lot of heart, but with added creativity that is super unique.
  5. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled - One of my favorite games of all-time is getting a remake. Will it hold up to my fond PS1 memories though?
  6. Life is Strange 2 - I’ve held off on buying this until the entire story has been released, but I’m sure I’ll love it as much as the last two installments.
  7. In the Valley of Gods - Firewatch was great; so this should be no less than great.
  8. Anthem - Not a great first impression here, but I’ll eventually get this on sale and hopefully, by then it will be a Top 10 contender.
  9. Control - I don’t know what to expect, but the trailer was cool.
  10. The Outer Worlds - Just cuz I need a 10th, I guess.

Honorable Mention:
Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son - It will hopefully be a cool story with some funny moments. Also, VR.

1. Apex Legends
  2. Apex Legends
  3. Apex Legends
  4. Apex Legends
  5. Apex Legends
  6. Apex Legends
  7. Apex Legends
  8. Apex Legends
  9. Apex Legends
  10. Apex Legends

Honorable mention:
Titanfall 3