Top 10s

Top 10s
0.0 0

My final list as posted on ResetEra:

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn - Wow. This game was perfect. Guerrilla Games really crafted something special here: Aloy, fighting robot dinosaurs with arrows, the music, the atmosphere, the lore… everything. I have zero complaints with this masterpiece and it’s a shame it will be overshadowed in a year with both Zelda and Mario. And on top of this being my favorite game in recent memory, they added The Frozen Wilds—the largest DLC I’ve ever played and that final fight was the most intense, white-knuckled encounter in the entire game. I cannot say enough good things about this new IP and hopefully long-lasting franchise.

2. Mass Effect: Andromeda - Yeah, yeah, yeah. In my defense, I played this long after the patches were released, so I didn’t experience many bugs/glitches at all. Mass Effect is my favorite series of all time and this game did not disappoint me. I loved the characters and the plot and I am livid that the bad press this game got deprived me of ever receiving story DLC featuring the last remaining Ark. I hate all of you for killing this game. I kid, I kid. But seriously, I hate you. You know who you are.

3. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - I did not like Chloe until almost the very end of the first LiS game, so I was worried about playing a game where she’s the main star. I was wrong. This game converted me into a huge Chloe fan and now I want her to return (somehow) in the sequel. The story was touching, the ending scene gave me the creeps and the music… the music in this game is hella phenomenal. I can’t wait to play the bonus chapter.

4. Star Wars Battlefront 2 - I know this game got a lot of hate, but I actually liked the campaign (it’s actually quite deep if you know all of the hidden Easter Eggs) and I absolutely LOVE Starfighter Assault. That mode alone is worth the $60. I’m addicted to it, I have fun playing it and I think about it when I’m not playing it. It only needs a few more maps, Criterion. Please. PLEASE!

5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - What’s better than Lara Croft? Two Lara Crofts. And the game not being called “Tomb Raider.” It’s just as good as Uncharted 4, only shorter. The game is gorgeous and I couldn’t get enough of the banter between two great female leads.

6. Destiny 2 - Destiny 2’s story absolutely destroys anything in its predecessor’s campaign. -cough- Grimoire cards -cough- And I’ve enjoyed all the time I’ve spent with it… it’s just missing something that the first game had that kept me addicted and coming back day after day. I can’t put my finger on what’s absent, but it doesn’t have the hook.

7. Injustice 2 - The sequel improves over the original in virtually every way. The story of 1 might still be my favorite fighter campaign ever, but this one is definitely on par. The loot boxes are given out generously and urge you to continue playing, plus the DLC support has been fantastic. Also, Supergirl rules.

8. Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - While not up to the story quality of Batman, it was still worth playing. Chapters 3 and 5 were my favorites with 4 being dreadful. There was some good character development you don’t get from the movies, but nowhere near as funny. Telltale needs a new engine—this one is super buggy, character movement is robotic and they need to take notes from Life is Strange.

9. Micro Machines World Tour - I was disappointed with this game at first because I had such fond memories of previous games. Once I discovered the brake, everything became more enjoyable. It’s real flaw is the absent user base. Releasing this game $10 or $20 cheaper or via PS+ would have saved it from obscurity. I really want to play this online with a full lobby of humans. Come on, Sony. Make it happen.

10. Marvel Heroes Omega - It would have been nice to have played this game a bit more before Disney nuked it from orbit, but from what little I did play, it was fun. Such a waste.