Tidbits Updates

Tidbits Updates
0.0 0

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that by the new year I am planning on transitioning the site to tidbits.io (possibly even this weekend if I feel courageous enough). I will have a redirect setup for the current URL for the foreseeable future, so there shouldn’t be anything different you will have to do, but you will be seeing some big changes.

The first change you will notice is the name and color scheme (seen above). Nothing is set in stone, but that is one of the reasons I want to make the changes sooner rather than later. It’s not going to be very polished from the start, but I would rather get your input now before spending countless hours trying to perfect to my liking.

Some of the other changes you will see include a more robust search system

##Search:

This is going to be very janky from the get go, but I want to see what you guys think of it before I spend too much more time tweaking it. The main goal for me is that you can easily access Giant Bomb search for creating a topic or just linking to a game. Right now it’s programmed so that when you click on a game from the right column, it will actually pull up the composer window with everything already filled in for you, the game title as the subject, the game category selected and even the Giant Bomb link in the subject.

I will also be updating to the latest version of Discourse which supports some pretty killer plugins including:

##ReplyGIF:

##ImgFlip:

##Babble - A Chat Plugin:

https://discourse-meta.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/optimized/3X/a/0/a058952e33126aa4346e8b1d18d08b8400f284c4_1_690x209.gif

I understand a lot of this is overkill right now, but this was really the whole reason I wanted to start my own “community site”. I really want to keep experimenting with what we can do here, knowing that some things might be complete failures, but hopefully there will be some stuff worth it along the line.

Feel free to let me know what you guys think about the upcoming changes, or suggestions for other improvements. I am always open to input and criticism, unless it’s from @LASSIE.

3 Likes

Surely there’s another gaming website I can visit where I won’t take abuse…

1 Like

Does this mean there will be a direct way to link in abusive memes? This is probably going to be the best forum of all time.

I was kind of hoping ya’ll would be creative enough to create your own memes, but we’ll see.

-1 getting people to do your job for you

What this also means is that if I do try to do this over the weekend, or around Christmas, there is a good chance there will be some downtime. I know there isn’t much activity over the weekend anyways, but I just wanted to give a heads up.

Well, I believe I have most of everything working, except for the chat plugin, which was really not needed here anyways.

The ReplyGIF plugin works

As well as ImgFlip

Search still has a ways to go before I’m happy with it, but I’ll continue to work on it. The two big things missing is that the New Topic results do not filter out existing topics, and the Show More option (which is also mobile) doesn’t currently show and Giant Bomb results. Hopefully I can get to those things eventually.

As always, I would love to know what you guys think.

1 Like

2 Likes

So what do you guys want to see next? There has to be something you can think of, no matter how crazy it might be.

I have a bunch of ideas, but none of them are very fleshed out yet. I would rather spend time on something that I think you guys would really see some benefit from versus just bells and whistles that don’t amount to much. If you guys can’t think of anything, maybe I’ll list some ideas and get some feelers for if you think it would be worth it or not.

Not sure if this is possible or not, but I’d love to see people on this board. Like, in the double digits maybe.

:sunglasses:

Ha, yeah. I think I have mentioned this before, but I have a few ideas for how I can “advertise” the site, but I’ve first been waiting until I made the name change, which is obviously done now. I also struggle with wanting to make sure there are enough features here where it doesn’t just look like another message board, but I know that just leads to the entire cart before the horse debate.

I will think it over and maybe I’ll finally grow some balls and put this site out there.

I’ll get the ball rolling. I just posted the link to this site on GameFAQs. Now, let’s watch the winners roll in.

I’m kidding. I would never do that to Tidbits.

Changed the URL, huh? Can’t get rid of me that easily…

…although it was pretty easy to keep me from figuring out there was a new URL in the first place.

Unfortunately it looks like the forwarding from talk.polygonalweave.com isn’t currently working as I had hoped. @katet has been very busy lately and it is proving to be more difficult than I thought. We will hopefully get that up and running soon for any old links.

Oh yeah, and we were trying to get rid of you.

I’m like HPV…I never go away.

The redirect should be working now. Sorry to Rewfus and the rest of the crew for the delay. As it turns out network redirects aren’t as simple as you would hope.

Like HPV.

But, seriously, thanks!

I hope now that that’s fixed we can see @blackzipper, @CodSteaks, @Jango and @CrazyThang01 return. I was wondering why I haven’t seen (m)any posts from them this week.