Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Odyssey
0.0 0

Super Mario Odyssey

Nintendo's favorite plumber and his new hat-shaped companion travel far beyond the Mushroom Kingdom in this Switch-exclusive 3D platformer.

First Released

October 27, 2017

Platforms

Nintendo Switch

Developers

Nintendo EPD, 1-UP Studio

Genres

Platformer

Find out more at Giant Bomb

And that’s all he has to say about that…

He’s just eagerly awaiting our reviews tomorrow.

Y’all need to calm down, formatting takes time ya buttholes.

Ars Technica - Kyle Orland | Unscored

If you have a Switch, get this game. If you don’t have a Switch, get one, then get this game.

VG247 - Alex Donaldson | Unscored

Odyssey is the best Mario game in many, many years – and while it returns to the N64-style formula, its triumphs are firmly its own.

Kotaku - Chris Kohler | Unscored

Every element gelled so well that I was simply enraptured by the beauty of the whole experience.

GameXplain - GameXplain | Mind-Blowing

Super Mario Odyssey is pretty much everything I had hoped a Super Mario 64 sequel would be–in addition to things I never thought it could be. The return to the more open-levels invites and rewards exploration in ways that no Mario game since Super Mario 64 has quite captured–and speaking of which, the capturing mechanic is brilliant, switching up the gameplay to a degree far beyond the power-ups of past games, and making for a consistently fresh experience where the mere act of getting around is fun in and of itself. Super Mario Odyssey is truly something special.

Eurogamer - Oli Welsh | Essential

One of the most daring and influential game designs of all time makes a long overdue comeback in Mario’s most madcap adventure yet.*

Expansive - Ray Willmott | 10 / 10

Super Mario Odyssey is a practically perfect game that will be used to educate developers of the future in years to come. Unquestionably, it’s the greatest 3D Mario Nintendo have ever made.*

GamesBeat - Mike Minotti | 100 / 100

This is another Mario all-time classic that we’ll be remembering and celebrating for decades to come.

GameSpot - Peter Brown | 10 / 10

Super Mario Odyssey is a massive and magnificent celebration of Nintendo’s most iconic hero.

NintendoWorldReport - Daan Koopman | 10 / 10

Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite game on Switch by a long shot.

Nintendo Enthusiast - Brett Medlock | 10 / 10

Super Mario Odyssey is the best game available on Nintendo Switch, and just might be my favorite game of the year. It isn’t just a masterclass of level and sound design, it’s a celebration of the Super Mario franchise, and one of helluva celebration to take part in.

Digitally Downloaded - Ginny W. | 5 / 5 stars

I’d usually count myself a completionist who’s only goal is to earn every single achievement possible, but Super Mario Odyssey showed me that there’s so much more to it than collecting things.

Press Start - Shannon Grixti | 10 / 10

I don’t know how Nintendo continues to do it, but they’ve managed to reinvent another classic franchise and push it further than imaginable. Super Mario Odyssey is the game that we’ve been waiting to play for more than 20 years. It feels like it borrows key elements from almost every Mario game that has come before it to create what is possibly not only the greatest Mario game, but one of the best 3D platformers of all time.

Guardian - Jordan Erica Webber | 5 / 5 stars

New sidekick Cappy could have been just another annoying sidekick, but its inclusion only adds to the playfulness of Nintendo Switch’s first Mario adventure.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral | 10 / 10

A joyful celebration – and evolution – of the Super Mario series, that encapsulates all the fun and creativity of video gaming at its very best.

Critical Hit - Alessandro Barbosa | 10 / 10

It’s impossible to pinpoint a fault in Super Mario Odyssey, which both elegantly and eloquently surprises and calls back to its storied history. It’s a game full of surprises; one that plays with your expectations and supersedes them in almost every way. If you have a Switch (or are yet to get one), it’s simply essential.

COGconnected - Paul Sullivan | 100 / 100

Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece. It surprised me regularly, delighted me constantly, and smashed my expectations in ways I’d never have predicted. The deftly woven combination of nostalgic themes, intuitive gameplay, and incredibly inventive design make this not only the best Mario game to date, but one of the most joyful and compelling games ever made.

USgamer - Nadia Oxford | 5 / 5 stars

Super Mario Odyssey honors much of what makes other 3D Mario games great, plus it adds plenty of its own flavor to the Mario stew thanks to its capture mechanic. Mario Odyssey can keep you busy for hours and hours if you want it to, and you probably will. Outside of a few instances where the camera took on a mind of its own, I can’t think of a moment when I wasn’t enjoying myself while journeying with Mario and Cappy.

Giant Bomb - Dan Ryckert | 5 / 5 stars

The soul of Super Mario 64 is alive and well in the plumber’s surreal and stunning new adventure.

Cubed3 - Adam Riley | 10 / 10

The wait is over; the pinnacle of 3D adventures has arrived in the form of Super Mario Odyssey. It beggars belief just how much Nintendo has packed into this latest outing, without compromising the core Mario goodness of the past. Just as with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Mario series has now reached a special new level of greatness that will be hard to surpass in the future. The Nintendo Switch is fast becoming the hottest platform, crammed full of sublime quality gaming experiences like this fantastic new escapade.

Nintendo Life - Thomas Whitehead | 10 / 10

Super Mario Odyssey represents a shift in direction for Mario. For about a decade we had exceptional but tightly structured 3D series entries, but this new arrival’s building blocks go back to Super Mario 64. It’s a very modern take on ‘sandbox Mario’, however - Cappy and his abilities are key additions that freshen up the formula, and we have a sizeable and diverse set of lands to explore.Odyssey will, inevitably, now enter the discussions about the ‘best’ Mario games. In the second half and post-credits - in particular - it takes on a life of its own, showcasing incredible design and development flair. It’s also a wonderful showcase for the Switch, and could introduce a whole new audience to the wonders of Mario in three dimensions. For the veterans among us, meanwhile, it’s yet another special release to remind us of why Mario is still gaming’s number one.

Game Revolution - Paul Tamburro | 5 / 5 stars

Nintendo has delivered everything I could want in a Mario game, before adding things that I didn’t even know I wanted. The end result of their efforts is a true modern masterpiece.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L | 10 / 10

Super Mario Odyssey is bursting at the seams with creativity, as Nintendo play with new ideas while also paying homage to their long history. Cappy’s abilities are a perfect compliment to Mario’s own, and there’s a wonderful silliness and humour to their adventure as they visit a string of contrasting kingdoms that just beg you to find the secrets hidden around every corner. Simply put, Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece.

IBTimes UK - Ben Skipper | 5 / 5 stars

Nintendo proves once again why it is the very best at what it does, with the Super Mario game players have waited 15 years for. Rooted in an wonderfully absurd design idea, Odyssey is a glorious and jubilant adventure for all that, like its plump hero, revels in the freedom to explore, experiment and play.

GamesRadar+ - Sam Loveridge | 5 / 5 stars

Super Mario Odyssey successfully brings the series up to date and opens it up to a new audience, while still retaining every ounce of its nostalgia and retro charm.

SA Gamer - Dawid Venter | 10 / 10

Super Mario Odyssey winks at you for every Moon you discover. Its sheer brilliance in design and platforming perfection sets it leagues above the competition. If you own a Nintendo Switch you need this game.

IGN - Ryan McCaffrey | 10 / 10

Mario’s games have been around for almost as long as game consoles have been a thing, but thankfully, he’s always evolving. We rarely get the same Mario twice. Super Mario Odyssey delivers on that ongoing promise of originality and innovation: It distills the venerable series’ joyful, irreverent world and characters and best-in-class platforming action, and introduces a steady stream of new and unexpected mechanics. It’s all spun together into a generational masterpiece.

VideoGamer - Colm Ahern | 10 / 10

It’s extraordinary, really, that after all this time a new Mario game can feel as fresh as any that preceded it. Cappy is a revelation, exploring Kingdoms is bliss, and Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece.

Game Rant - Riley Little | 5 / 5

Super Mario Odyssey is a spectacular return to form that’ll delight casual players and platforming fans, delivering one of the biggest and best games ever from Nintendo.

God is a Geek - Adam Cook | 10 / 10

Full of happiness, an antidote we all desperately need, flawlessly designed, addictive, and just incredible. This is platforming perfection.

Nintendo Insider - Alex Seedhouse | 10 / 10

Packed with energy, charm, and every trick in the book thrown in, choosing to hop aboard the Odyssey will undoubtedly result in you having the chance to experience one of the Mario’s greatest adventures. It’s a perfect reminder of the gaming magic that Nintendo is revered for, and something that they have miraculously been able to bottle twice within a single year.

EGM - Emma Schaefer | 10 / 10

A mix of the nostalgic, the fantastical, and the wonderfully bizarre, Mario’s latest adventure provides more than a dozen tantalizing playgrounds to explore. With hundreds of collectibles, Kingdoms full of delightful details, and secrets waiting around every corner, Super Mario Odyssey is bound to keep players exploring long after the credits roll.

TrustedReviews - Brett Phipps | 5 / 5 stars

You’ll become obsessed with collecting outfits and Power Moons, and fall in love with every kingdom you visit. Nintendo has had a wonderful 2017, and is rounding it off in style with the best Mario game you’ve ever played.

AusGamers - Kosta Andreadis | 9.8 / 10

It rewards players in ways that we rarely get to see, and even when it’s over it begins anew and invites you to keep exploring, keep discovering, and keep reaching for the moon.

Game Informer - Andrew Reiner | 9.8 / 10

With hundreds of moons to collect and a dizzying number of secrets to unearth, Super Mario Odyssey is a monster of a game that rarely dips in the fun department.

Wccftech - Dave Aubrey | 9.7 / 10

Super Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game. It just is. Level design, the way Mario moves and jumps, collectibles, it’s all just… Practically perfect. This is the Mario game I’ve been wanting for so long, and I already know I’m going straight for 100% completion.

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson | 9.5 / 10

Super Mario Odyssey is a once-in-a-generation game and every self-respecting gamer should sit back and enjoy it. Nintendo has outdone itself yet again and we’re the lucky ones who get to reap the benefits.

CGMagazine - Phil Brown | 9.5 / 10

How Nintendo somehow keeps their lil’ platforming plumbing mascot relevant and exciting decades later is a mystery, but there’s no denying the company has delivered another Mario masterpiece for The Switch.

Red Value Gaming - Red Value Gaming | 95 / 100

Overall, Super Mario Odyssey is a fantastic game that is really hard to put down. What makes the game so engaging is the well-executed gameplay that also has an absolutely insane amount of variety.

ThisGenGaming - ThisGenGaming | 9.5 / 10

2017’s Game Of The Year just got a new contender, Super Mario Odyssey IS exactly what I wanted and then some. The hype usually can not keep up with a video game but Super Mario Odyssey not only keeps up with the hype, it has passed it, and has gone way beyond my expectations. Sure there’s some minor issues that I had with the game, but it never once made the game any worse for me. I couldn’t put down Super Mario Odyssey and I’m kind of sad that I have to write this review right now because I want to get back to the world of Super Mario Odyssey that much! Look out other GOTY contenders, it looks like Mario has just entered the game.

Polygon - Philip Kollar | 9.5 / 10

For a character nearing 40 years old, it’s amazing that Mario has remained not only a beloved character but one whose games are generally expected to be great. From that perspective, it’s no surprise that Super Mario Odyssey is, yes, a great game. But more than that, it’s a fantastic, even fundamental addition to Mario’s legacy. From a plumber to a doctor to a tennis star to, uh, a Goomba, Mario has endured. No, this will not be the last Mario game, but it is almost certain to be lauded as one of his best.

NZGamer - Keith Milburn | 9.5 / 10

Pure delight, from start to finish.

Zeltik - Zeltik | 9.5 / 10

Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game in terms of the amount of content, world diversity, how fun it is, and to top it off, is absolutely stunning.

GamePro - Tobias Veltin | 95 / 100

Super Mario Odyssey is a masterful jump & run full of surprises, charm and ideas and a compulsory purchase for every switch owner.

Daily Dot - AJ Moser | 4.5 / 5 stars

Odyssey is best experienced with its secrets preserved, and the less you know about going in, the better. Even if you think you know what to expect in this globe-trotting journey, you’re going to find plenty you didn’t expect, and something new to love.

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha | 9 / 10

It looks, sounds, and plays like a sunny Sunday morning spent in front a TV with a Nintendo controller in your hand when you were a kid

GBAtemp - Krista Noren | 8 / 10

Hitting many highs, and a few lows along the way, Super Mario Odyssey is one of those titles that will definitely get attention, both from those looking to buy a Switch, and those that currently own one. If you’re a Mario fan, you’re probably already sold on the idea, but even for those who are looking something that offers that “Nintendo experience” you can get nowhere else, this is surely a game you’ll want to pick up.

So, it’s basically trash then.

Yeah, you could have just said ‘Yo, this game is gewd, yo’, but I appreciate the formatting none-the-less.

I finished the main line through Mario over the long weekend. This game is sooo good. Seriously, buy a switch and play this game.

They put some serious time into the level design. Where ever you are, you can look around and see three different things for you to do. Exploring the nooks and crannies more often than not rewards you with something. They really try to push the motion controls on you, but they aren’t needed.

Actually considering getting a Switch for this game and Zelda.

Luigi is not playable
New Costumes
Balloon hunt mode