Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Sackboy: A Big Adventure

The LittleBigPlanet franchise makes the jump from 2D platformer to 3D.

Expected Release

November 12, 2020

Platforms

PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5

Developers

Sumo Digital Ltd., PlayStation Studios

Genres

Platformer

Find out more at Giant Bomb

I wasn’t into this game when it was first announced. Or seeing anything since then. But these reviews…

PushSquare
We’re only a couple of worlds in, but we haven’t smiled this much since, well, when we played Astro’s Playroom about 10 days ago. Sony’s on fire, eh? No but seriously, with Media Molecule moving on to Dreams, we thought LittleBigPlanet had been put out to pasture. And it has – in a way. See, this has all of the charm of the Guildford developer’s PlayStation 3 classic, but it’s been given a Super Mario 3D World makeover.

The result is remarkable. Not only does this game look the part – it’s running at a flawless 60 frames-per-second, with razor-sharp textures and even some raytracing – but it’s just a joy to play. Where the old LittleBigPlanet games were criticised for their floaty platforming, Sackboy is much more responsive here, with a Luigi-esque double-jump and a Metroid-inspired roll ability.

Levels start out straight-forward enough, but the developer quickly introduces new ideas to freshen things up. In one stage, you must outrun the Abominable Showman in a Crash Bandicoot-style “run towards the camera” chase sequence; another sees you herding critters in order to unlock prize bubbles. There’s even one stage where you need to use a shuriken to scythe down reeds.

Much like with Astro’s Playroom, we don’t want to give too much away, but there’s some outstanding licensed music here which is incorporated into some levels like in the PlayStation 3-era Rayman games; you’ll be grinning from ear-to-ear once you realise what the studio’s doing. And everything’s tied together by a hub world, which is delightfully interactive in itself.

Hands On: Sackboy: A Big Adventure Is a Papercraft Marvel on PS5
LittleBigLovely
www.pushsquare.com

Destructoid Review In progress

Even with that proviso, I think I’m okay with recommending A Big Adventure at this point, several worlds in. Sumo Digital was able to bottle the same whimsical magic that it did in LittleBigPlanet 3, crafting stages that will basically force you to smile. Stages are cohesive, offering up new concepts at a respectable pace, while keeping the focus on hidden zones and collectibles. If you rush through any given Sackboy stage you won’t have too many problems, but finding everything they have to offer requires a set of discerning eyes. It’s very much like some Mario games in that way, which is a compliment of the highest honor.
I came in expecting an adorable serviceable platformer and that’s just what I got here. Sumo Digital generally does good work, so I’m excited to see what’s next in Sackboy: A Big Adventure

AndroidCentral
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is basically just the PlayStation version of Super Mario 3D World and that’s totally fine. The 3D platformer is a genre that’s been underserved for far too long so between this and Astro’s Playroom, PlayStation gamers are in for a real treat. Despite the cutesy graphics and highly-animated dress-up characters, Sackboy is a platformer that seems deserving of a place in any gamer’s library that enjoys the genre from what we’ve seen so far.
www.androidcentral.com

GameSpew
Having been in possession of the game for just over 24 hours at the time of writing, we’ve still got a lot to see and do in Sackboy: A Big Adventure – we’ve only reached the second of its worlds so far. At this point though, we can safely say that we’ve thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of it – it’s gone above and beyond our expectations. It appears to be an immaculately made 3D platformer with huge amounts of charm. We’ll follow up with a full review once we’ve put considerably more time into it, but we think it’s safe to say that if you’re picking it up alongside your PS5, you’re going to be in for a very good time.

https://www.gamespew.com/2020/11/sackboy-a-big-adventure-review/

GamesRadar
Just because it has a crafty theme, doesn’t mean that Sackboy: A Big Adventure isn’t an absolute stunner on PS5. The textures and colors on display are enough eye candy to give you cavities, from the fuzz on Sackboy’s fabric skin to the glittering, confetti-filled water. The scrapbooking world created by Media Molecule for Little Big Planet is lovingly updated here, and you’ll see every tuft of fur on a tiger costume, every bump on a leather surface, every crinkle on a cardboard banana.

I’ve only spent a day with Sackboy so far, and it’s hard to think of a game that has delivered so much joy in such a short time. The platforming strikes that perfect balance between challenging and fun, using all sorts of ingenious tricks - motion control platforms, grappling hooks, herding small creatures, planting seeds - to keep things fresh. This is bumping up to the top of my PS5 must-play list alongside Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and it’s hard to imagine how it could ruin it, beyond Sackboy suddenly declaring he’s a Trump supporter. Keep an eye out for our full review once we’ve spent more time as a sweet little sackcloth boy in a tiger costume.
www.gamesradar.com

The Gamer 3.5/5
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a decent platforming game that’s stuffed with charm, if a little lacking in imagination, which is a shame for a franchise built on creativity. Saying that, if you’ve got children, this is a must-buy for some family-friendly PS5 fun.
www.thegamer.com

SpazioGames 8.1
Sackboy is a smart and colorful platform game, filled with fun moments and loyal to its LittleBigPlanet’s roots.
www.spaziogames.it

Power Up 8/10
Yes, I miss the ability to make complex levels with way too many obviously phallic structures in them. Who wouldn’t? But the spirit of hunting down an ever-increasing selection of costume bits for my surprisingly customisable and emotive Sackpeoples still makes for a great little game. While I don’t think the forthcoming
Ratchet & Clank has anything to worry about at this stage, yeah, Sackboy delivers some damn good jumpy-jumpy material.
powerup-gaming.com

Gamereactor UK - 8/10
What I will say about Sackboy: A Big Adventure is that I spent a considerable amount of time with this title and whilst it never left me jaded, I was left feeling a little lost at times. The gameplay is tight, easy to understand, great for all audiences, and the storyline, soundtrack, and world design is fantastic, as you would expect from a Little Big Planet game. Are there areas I wish would return? Without a shadow of a doubt, but does this give me hope for a brilliant future with Sackboy at the helm? Yes. Yes, it does.
www.gamereactor.eu

TheSixthAxis 7/10
Sackboy: A Big Adventure starts off slow, feeling like a hollow reflection of the franchise, but eventually grows into its new 3D platforming elements. It’s at its best when it blends the new with the old, when there’s power-ups, side-scrolling and a meaningful challenge, but it takes a bit too long to get it together.
Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review – TheSixthAxis

Eurogamer Italy 8/10
The Big Adventure starts slowly, very slowly. Then, from nowhere, it starts going completely crazy, bringing together art, music and challenge, building a perfect experience for its target audience.
www.eurogamer.it

Screenrant 4/5
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a huge title for both PlayStation 4 and, more importantly, PS5. It’s a first look at how games developed to work on both last-gen and current-gen will be adapted to that challenge, and in this, Sackboy: A Big Adventure appears to shine - although we only got to try it on PS4 for this review. This 10-12 hour adventure’s humor, quirky personality, and entertaining gameplay offer tons for those looking for a fun family experience this holiday season. While it’s harder than ever to bring people together, this is an experience that should be shared, so waiting for the online patch to release would be the right move.
screenrant.com