PS4 News!

PS4 News!
0.0 0

At this rate, Sony had better drop some goodwill bombs at PSX this year. PS1 BC. PSNow free with PS+. Free VR games with PS+ every month. Rocket League and other games are now cross-console compatible online with Xbox One and PC. The PS4 Pro dispenses chocolate frozen custard. Battlefront is getting forced preloaded onto Lassie’s console. Something. Anything to offset this junk.

UPDATE:
Ignoring the Pro’s Blu-ray drive, at least the new consoles are improvements.

Overall, we’ve only had a very short amount of time with the revised PlayStation 4 so far and we’re eager to hammer down the results once we have a system in the office, but the outlook is very promising. The console is smaller and more discrete, but this hasn’t resulted in any kind of noticeable compromise to system performance. The key litmus test is this: given the choice between a brand new PS4 Slim and the existing CUH-1200 model, which one would I pick? Well, based on the couple of hours spent with the new hardware, it’s a no-brainer - the new PS4 is a winner. Fundamentally, it addresses one of the weakest points of the current generation PlayStation 4 - the noise level: it appears to be significantly quieter in many scenarios. In fact, in the tests we ran using digital content (ie no BD drive noise), it’s up there with the original Xbox One and marginally quieter than the Xbox One S. We’ll update with more metrics once we have the hardware in hand, but right now, this tidy little unit looks like a really impressive revision.

Also the PS4 Slim has 5ghz wifi.

Jesus fuckin’ Christ, speak of the devil…

PS4 Mod Update

After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available.

We will provide an update if and when this situation changes.

This is what my “Throw in Sony not supporting mods for Fallout 4 and Skyrim…” was referring to. I don’t know WTF they’re doing. It’s like Sony and MS have gone back to who the companies were last gen.

IIRC it’s also Sony that’s been dragging their feet on the whole cross-platform play too.

Like, wtf happened? Did they just get such an early lead that they felt they could go back to focusing on the business numbers side of things and just ignore what gamers might enjoy out of a console?

That XB1 Slim is looking mighty tempting now…

Ehh, wait for the Scropio, will be much more bang for your buck

Maybe. Depends on if the cost of the Scorpio is cheaper than upgrading the CPU and GPU in my PC.

C’mon, now is not the time for common sense to kick in. Ride this console train straight in to the ground before you give up on it.

For those of you who are not in the Beta, all zero of you from the sounds of it, the update drops tomorrow. Now with extra things not in the beta.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/12/ps4-system-software-update-4-00-out-tomorrow/

Quick Menu — Music
In addition to updating the Quick Menu to make it easier to access without leaving your game by having it cover only a portion of the screen and making it more customizable, we’ve also added several new items to the menu. One new addition to the Quick Menu that wasn’t featured in the beta program is an enhanced Music section to allow you to discover, play, and control Spotify without needing to open the app.

From the Music section of the Quick Menu you’ll now be able to play, pause, skip, shuffle, repeat and save songs. The Music section also allows you to discover recommended playlists for the game you’re playing and view your saved Spotify playlists and songs. When you select a playlist, you’ll be able to see all upcoming songs and choose to play all, or select an individual song to listen to from that playlist.

The PlayStation Music team and Spotify have been working with your favorite game creators to create playlists to enhance your gameplay. Follow PlayStation Music on Spotify to get the latest gaming playlists first.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8300/29005991283_f046533d25_z.jpg

PlayStation 4 Pro Updates
In anticipation of the release of PS4 Pro on November 10, 2016, we’re adding a number of features that will support the system’s ability to output high-resolution content. This update will enable the following on PS4 Pro:
1080p streaming for Remote Play on PC/Mac and compatible Xperia devices
1080p streaming for Share Play
1080p 30/60fps live broadcasting on YouTube
1080p 30fps live broadcasting on Twitch

High Dynamic Range (HDR)
When we announced PS4 Pro and the new slimmer PS4 last week, we also announced that all PlayStation 4 systems — back to the very first console sold in 2013 — would be HDR capable. After updating your system to version 4.00, you’ll see HDR settings in the Video Output Settings and be ready to enjoy HDR gaming and entertainment content once it’s available on any PS4 system you own. Of course, you’ll need an HDR compatible display as well.

Data Transfer to New PS4
In order to make it easier to get all of your data from one PS4 to another, especially if you upgrade to PS4 Pro, we’ve added the ability to transfer data over a wired LAN connection. You can transfer games, user info, and saved data. Of course, you can re-download content and transfer saves through the cloud, but the LAN transfer should be much faster and easier.

The official Twitter account for Farming Simulator 2017 has confirming that the agriculture-’em-up sequel will feature mod support for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on launch.

I’m so confused.

EDIT:
Confusion over.
It was actually Bethesda that said “no” to mods in the end:

And then blames Sony for wanting the game to not crash repeatedly.

Except I’d rather have the option to have mods where some may or may not work properly than no mods at all. Bethesda doesn’t do QA for PC mods, so why would they do it for consoles? If it crashes, you uninstall it. Simple as that. There hasn’t been much of a problem on Xbox since mods have been available so yeah, it’s still mostly Sony’s fault. Their size limit and audio shenanigans don’t help either.

I agree with Jeff, mods have always been try at your own risk. You can’t expect a development studio to devote man hours to QAing each and every mod that comes through the door. Sure, there can be some safeguards in place to make sure it didn’t brick the system or something along those lines, but it just sounds like Sony isn’t willing to take the risk, which I also can’t 100% disagree with. Hopefully Microsoft can continue to show support for mods gaining hearts and minds and Sony will be forced to follow suit.

I see both sides here. I haven’t really been following the mod situation on the XBO since I don’t play Fallout, but after hearing some of the worst case scenarios, like taking 2 hours to load up a save file for instance, I can see why Sony doesn’t want to degrade the experience. Plus, would it be possible to put malicious code into a mod and say… steal people’s account information? I have no idea, but maybe that’s a concern too. I have no idea. But on the other hand… putting up at least the most popular mods would probably have solved the ill will part of this debacle.

That’s a good idea. A QA’d top 10 mods sounds like a decent compromise. (said as someone on the outside looking in)

So… something’s not quite right here.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14361335_10153888760974135_5777764301566488633_o.jpg

Ehh, all of those streaming services are the same. Charge you an ever increasing monthly charge while forcing you to watch more and more advertisements (e.g. “original content”), what’s the difference?

I don’t completely know how mod coding works, but if I had to guess I’d say that kind of malicious activity would be practically improbable via mods. Although given Sony’s track record of getting hacked, who knows.

Given their track record, I can completely understand their hesitation if it’s even remotely possible.

Outside of knocking PS offline, wasn’t most of the account hacks just someone leaking text or PDF files of account information from inside Sony? I feel like that’s what most “hacks” are nowadays.