PS4 News!

PS4 News!
0.0 0

Again, Sony trying to sell 4K TVs.

This may not even be setting the precedent we think it is unless they find TV hardware evolving in the middle of a console generation like this again.

I’m not comparing the two console versions of a game from a graphical standpoint, but feature wise. Shadows of Mordor’s nemesis mode was substantially less varied on the PS3 and XB360 than it’s PS4 and XB1 versions. That’s essentially what could happen with the new PS4.5 and XB1.5, only with similar graphic fidelity this time around, barring intensive stuff like shadows, lighting and aliasing.

As for being forced to upgrade to play PC games, that isn’t true at all, especially if the developer is competent at optimization. I was playing BF4 on higher settings than what was available for XB1 and PS4 on hardware older than both.

That’s what this is really starting to smell like and I hope that’s all it is.

I like how Colin and Greg, in the video I posted above, labeled this thing near the end of their rant. The PS4NEO is a luxury item. It won’t be necessary, if you can afford it and want it, great, but it won’t be for everyone and who knows how much support it’ll actually get.

This does remind me of the “Better With Kinect” on the X360 boxes. Sure… maybe it is better with Kinect (let’s be honest, that was a downright lie), but did you ever feel jilted if you didn’t play that game without a Kinect? I guarantee I won’t feel left behind if my framerate is slightly lower than what someone else is playing (sidebar: did anyone ever yell at their Kinect while playing Mass Effect 3? I didn’t. Not even once.). I don’t own a 4K TV and have no plans to buy one. And they said no online content will be unique to the NEO, I don’t care about couch settings since I literally have nobody to play with at my house, so none of this affects me.

I get what you’re saying. That doesn’t change what I’m saying, though. We’ll have to wait and see if the differences between the NEO settings are as drastic as the differences between two different console versions of a game. I’m betting they won’t be.

But how am I wrong about PC games? I’ve experienced having a computer that simply got too old to play new games. You can’t tell me that didn’t or doesn’t happen.

I’m not saying you’re completely wrong, but the time it normally takes for your computer hardware to become completely obsolete is longer than the time between console generations, so I can only assume your computer hardware is more than several years old. Also laptops don’t and never will count. You’re also never required to buy the newest, best version of the hardware you need; there’s always “older” and cheaper options available that are still plenty powerful.

Very true, but less-than-the-best hardware is typically going to give you a less-than-the-best experience, which is exactly what we’re talking about. I understand the argument that consoles are supposed to be immune to that, you just buy one box and you know you get the same experience as everyone else until the next generational split. My basic argument is that it really doesn’t bother me much. I’m used to playing less than the best hardware, whether it’s a PC or a phone. If there is a huge, noticeable or known difference between what you’re getting on standard vs NEO modes, my tune might change, but so far my sky is not falling.

And really this is all going to be up to the developers. If some decide they want to throw in extra stuff in NEO mode, it’s going to be up to them whether they want to alienate part of their audience. Also extra work on their part. I’m guessing most won’t.

Correct, but again, I was initially only really worrying about gameplay changes, not visual differences.

We seem to be on the same side of the fence though, just at different levels of caring. (is there a word for that?)

Lovers?

I’m taking that in to account. When I say noticeable, I’m thinking of your example. I tried to read up on the differences in the Nemesis system in Mordor, but they were mostly articles that came out before the game that just acknowledged that there would be less detail in the past-gen versions. Is that example even something you would hear people talk about and feel you were missing out on? If it were something like a whole game mode, I would probably take notice.

I think you’re right. Based on what we know so far, it’s really just a matter of how much we care.

By whole game mode I mean something like one having Horde Mode and the other not having it at all.

Didn’t the most recent Call of Duty ship without story mode to the last gen consoles or did I dream that? Not like that would happen with the PS4Neo, but I just wanted to derail the convo.

Nope, you’re not dreaming. Black Ops 3 didn’t have a campaign in the 360 and PS3 versions.

Yeah, nah, yeah, this ain’t even a fight. We’re just discussin’. :smiley:

Here’s a snippet from an interview with Shadows of Mordor design director Michael de Plater.

“We’re very focused on the PS4 and Xbox One,” he said. "We’re focusing on the next-gen platforms, and then going to do whatever we can to get as much as possible on current-gen.

"To break it down, some of the stuff we’re pretty confident will still be very similar on current gen: the core mechanics, like combat, stealth, ranged and movements; the basic control and gameplay, that should all be really solid. What it won’t have is the same level of depth and variety and simulation within the ‘Nemesis system’.

“The story will be the same and the core gameplay will be the same, but [the ‘Nemesis system’ is] just so huge in terms of content, calculations and AI we’ll just have to try and get as much of it in as we can.”

Yeah, that’s exactly what I found. What I wonder is if that’s something you would have heard a PS4 player gushing about to the point that a PS3 player would have felt jealous, or felt that was the reason to upgrade.

As a mostly solo gamer, not having a campaign would be a big deal to me. If Battlefront had a campaign but only in NEO mode, I would get upset about that. Call of Duty specifically I wouldn’t buy or worry about, really. Battlefield? I would probably still buy it and not worry too much about the campaign. So it really depends on the game, but could be a big deal to me.