Oculus Rift

Oculus Rift
0.0 0

And he keeps going…

Shots fired at console makers now.

Also, we aren’t the only ones who can’t afford one. :smile:

UPDATE:

Oh my.

“Luckey: I’m one of the few people where it’s different. I would spend whatever it was. Gamers are not known to be the most affluent population of people. If something’s even $600, it doesn’t matter how good it is, how great of an experience it is — if they just can’t afford it, then it really might as well not exist. We’re going for the mainstream, but time will tell what the market is.”

-Palmer Luckey - 2013 interview

Could be worse. Remember when Nokia had a girl pull her shirt off on stage to reveal the price of the N-Gage?

Wait… what?!?

$2.99?! How did it fail?!

Ha, that’s the first thing I saw too. Failure all around.

My tool is clicking About This Mac

Plus, it’s a mac, so there’s that.

Do either the Rift or the Vive run on Mac OS X? I guess I never bothered to search that info out since my VR experience will be on the PS4 if I decide to splurge.

Also, how is El Capitan? I’m on 10.9.5 still.

Considering Vive is Valve and they hate everything Windows, yes, it looks like Vive runs on Mac and Linux.

El Capitan is alright, other than the fact that I lose the side bar in Finder about every day until I restart.

That sucks. Probably could fix it if I really tried, but nothing has worked so far other than restarting.

NASA is already planning the first manned space landing on Mars in the 2030s. But thanks to Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4, anyone who owns a virtual reality headset will be able to explore the Red Planet in 2016.

NASA has teamed up with Fusion Media, MIT’s Space Systems Laboratory, and game developers from former studio Irrational Games to develop The Mars 2030 Experience for Oculus Rift, Google Cardboard, and Samsung Gear VR in 2016. The free cross-platform virtual reality experience will also expand to Sony PlayStation VR and HTC Vive, thanks to Unreal Engine 4.

In an interview with ShackNews, Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey was asked if Mac support was still in the works for the Rift. He replied: “That is up to Apple. If they ever release a good computer, we will do it.”

He continued, “It just boils down to the fact that Apple doesn’t prioritize high-end GPUs. You can buy a $6,000 Mac Pro with the top-of-the-line AMD FirePro D700, and it still doesn’t match our recommended specs.”

Luckey added that, “if they prioritize higher-end GPUs like they used to for a while back in the day, we’d love to support Mac. But right now, there’s just not a single machine out there that supports it.”

What a jackass.

Someone’s salty because they bought the wrong computer.

I would never game on my Mac. But there is a correct way to state things and the Palmer Luckey way.

Basically if he said his followup rather than the initial statement, DarthSmurfs around the world would be chill?

Correct. But this goes back to this: Oculus Rift

The guy has no tact. And he just lost a few more Meow Meow Beanz in my book.

Ah right, that guy.

He needs to learn how to words better.

This sounds all well and good, but you know what would be really cool? Pinball AR, just think about it. You would only need a single stand-in pinball cabinet that had the plunger, and you could essentially project any pinball machine you want on to the surface. That would be the absolute best use of AR that I could ever imagine, personally. Screw building rockets that bring us to other planets and all that jazz, as long as this planet as Pinball AR, I won’t be going anywhere.

That’s a very cool concept.