Oculus Rift

Oculus Rift
0.0 0

Inserted on 8/17/2015:

The Rift finally has somewhat of a release date: Q1 2016. Has anyone had a chance to try this, or any of the other VR headsets?

Sounds cool if it’s true…

“The main thing is the optics combined with the screen combined with the
mechanical engineering is so much tighter, and synergized, that it
really makes it so that you can’t notice the pixel structure, there’s
like no visible pixels on the screen,” Oculus’ VP of product Nate Mitchell told us at the time.

Oculus Rift consumer VR headset coming first quarter of 2016

I am excited for this, but have yet to see that one game that really justifies it. I know once I see that game though, it’s going to be hook, line and sinker for me. Just have no idea how I will be able to afford the Rift, let alone the hardware required to run it.

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

You won’t need the most expensive rig on the block, but that’s getting up there. It also looks like it’s Windows only for now.

Our development for OS X and Linux has been paused in order to focus on delivering a high quality consumer-level VR experience at launch across hardware, software, and content on Windows. We want to get back to development for OS X and Linux but we don’t have a timeline.

Article says their rough mockup puts it around a grand. I guess I can’t say I’m surprised, maybe poor, but not surprised.

This is the version of the Rift that will ship next year, which will work with an external camera that sits on your desk. “The same tracking system can be used for other real-world objects," Iribe has said somewhat enigmatically.

This version is a lot like the Crescent Bay headset that was unveiled last year and tweaked at CES. This means it has two separate screens, one for each eye, and built-in headphones that can be swapped out for the wearer’s own.

Currently only planned for Oculus support, but considering they clearly have a DS3 in the gamplay footage, I’m hoping this comes to PS4 with Morpheus support. Essentially P.T. for VR:

##Allison Road

This is exactly what I want with VR.

I’ve known about this for months, I like the concept, but you would look absolutely stupid using this haha. I think I’m going to wait for something bigger, better, and actually looks somewhat good :joy:

Uh…wut?

ha, and here come the 'shops

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLvvzQuXAAAGfGP.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLvx1D6WsAAcJUG.jpg

That’s quite the accomplishment there—must’ve taken hours to Photoshop out his mom’s basement.

Should’ve gone with this one:

EDIT: (cuz it relates to my Tony Hawk post)

I’m dying here. NeoGAF is running wild with this.

And the article is actually worse somehow.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/time-unloads-full-clip-into-vrs-chances-for-mainst/1100-5254/

Meanwhile at Square Enix:

Here’s mine:

I can’t take all of this. I’m so happy. Thank you, world.

I’m sorry, but there was only one choice I had when deciding on the thumbnail image for this topic…

Perfect.