Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Switch
0.0 0

I’m actually interested. And I haven’t been interested in anything Nintendo in quite some time.

I’ve said both positive and negative things… I can’t decide if I want one or not yet. I’m leaning towards not since I’d rather buy a PSVR at this point. If the battery life isn’t as terrible as people are hinting at and if the storage is upgradeable, that will negate most of my criticisms. The big one remaining, as with all Nintendo products, is that I’m not interested in their games outside of Mario Kart. And maybe Smash Bros.

If you don’t like Nintendo games, what could possibly interest you about this console? They are never going to have third party support as long as they keep building crazy consoles like this. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be going against the grain, as I think it’s refreshing, I just don’t think you should even consider Nintendo hardware unless your main reason is to play Nintendo software.

I’m actually waiting to see what they do for virtual console and BC support. I’ve read that the Wii U and 3DS will not be included in BC for the Switch, but they may have digital options for some of those games. But, there are many old school Nintendo games that I would absolutely play again from the NES, Super NES and N64 days. Awhile ago, there were rumors that Nintendo was going to implement a universal account, where you buy a game like Super Mario Bros. 3, and it’s yours forever. It’ll stick to your account and it can be used on any future Nintendo console. Now… this rumor was also right around the time people were wondering if Nintendo games would be coming to PS4s and XBOs, so it’s probably not going to happen. But… if they do that, combined with a console that is also a handheld, I could see myself buying one just for really old games.

Also, Splatoon looks kinda fun.

News/rumors Round-up:

Multi-touch touchscreen:
The “Switch has a multitouch screen” Tweets

I am VERY confident in saying that the Nintendo Switch screen is a touch screen, but that is not core to most gameplay.
— Laura Kate Dale (@LaurakBuzz) October 20, 2016

I’ll be there for menus, for drawing, for certain games like Mario Maker port etc.

I’m confident in saying that the Nintendo Switch’s screen is a multi-touch screen.

As all Nintendo Switch games need to be playable with the handheld in the console dock, all Switch games will be playable without touch.

These tweets were based on information from Source A (Nintendo). As shown above, they knew enough to know when the reveal trailer was coming before the official announcement. They know their stuff.

Additional dock power:
The “Switch dock has some additional processing power” Tweets

RE: dock, what I’ve heard is additional processing (lacking specifics atm) for when docked. However, would expect a few secs to switch.

If there is additional processing in the dock, I would expect at least a few seconds to swap handheld to console etc.

This information again came from sources A (Nintendo), B (Ubisoft) and D (Manufacturing). None could confirm whether the dock is a PlayStation VR-style processing box which helps power higher resolution play when docked, or if docking the console simply allows the handheld to overclock and provides better performance that way. All sources claim the hardware has an easier time running docked compared to when out and about as a portable.

Many on Twitter have drawn my attention to this interview with IGN where Nintendo state that “The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch… The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system.”

To that, I reply that they repeatedly use the words “main function” and “Main Console” here which still leaves a lot of room for clarity. I believe these statements were aimed at clarifying the Switch was not another Wii U style console rather than saying the dock won’t in any way alter game performance. You can’t play the dock without the handheld, but that doesn’t mean the dock won’t improve game performance.

Battery life:
The “Battery Life” Tweet

To those asking about battery life on Nintendo Switch, I’m hearing “mediocre” battery life.

Source A (Nintendo) described the Switch as having a “mediocre” battery life. Source B (Ubisoft) has said a maximum battery life of three hours.

Eek at that battery life.

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/789468839033483264
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvTBJjCUMAEl7Hb.jpg

She’s saying that Splatoon, Mario Kart, Zelda and Smash Bros will all be enhanced ports. Not sequels.

So the Wii U gamepad then?

[quote=“DarthSmurfX, post:37, topic:602, full:true”]
Cartridges??? I thought when that was a rumor a few months ago that it was the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of and yet… here we are. A mobile device. Where you also have to carry your games with you. Nintendo®.[/quote]

Cartridges nowadays are nothing more than propitiatory SD cards and can store much, much more data than a blu-ray disc ever could. I would honestly take a cartridge over a blu-ray disc in my console of choice without any hesitation.

But…

This is being marketed as some kind of hybrid handheld device and that’s where the big problem is, like you mention; having to carry all your games with you.

/shrugs

It’s funny, the fact that Skyrim was shown in the trailer means that it’s an INSTANT purchase for my fiance. I mean, I was going to buy it anyway, but she is sold strictly due to the fact that she can have a portable Skyrim (she still plays Skyrim regularly). For her, this system’s excitement has nothing to do with Nintendo properties.

I agree with your point, I just find it interesting why it appeals to her specifically.

Fair enough, and I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, but I would just make sure to temper her expectations. The Wii U came out swinging with third party trailers before release. and they all turned out to be complete horse dung, if they ever even released in the first place.

All I’m saying, is that the cake is a lie.

Also, this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/10/21/oddly-skyrim-isnt-confirmed-for-the-nintendo-switch/#28d430576ea0

I’ll be buying it regardless. Wii U has some of the highest quality games released in recent years, in my opinion, and is an easily justified purchase despite the shear lack of quantity of titles.

The Switch was an instant purchase for me as soon as I knew the newest Zelda release would be there. This is me when there’s any Nintendo related news, though:

The possibility of Skyrim being on it at some point is just icing on the cake, even if said cake is ultimately a lie.

Which brings up an interesting question. Can anyone remember any games that were parts of major console reveals but didn’t actually ever come out for the system itself? Feels like false advertising in a way.

Nintendo did it before with Metro: Last Light for the Wii U, so who knows. Maybe Bethesda is still under a NDA of some form and are waiting to confirm a specific version of Skyrim (or even ES6).

The funny thing about the Switch is that it’ll probably get me to buy a Wii U so I can play Zelda. I can’t honestly see the game looking any better on the Switch and I don’t care enough about the whole portable angle of the system to pick one up just for Zelda. Also Bayonetta 2.

a unverified starting price of $250, along with a higher storage option for $300

I think $200 would be the sweet spot, but I’d probably bite at $250. It just seems way too close to a $300 Xbox One S. I know they are appealing in different ways, but I was hoping they’d shoot for a larger monetary gap there.

The Switch will get a five-hour event in New York following a streamed presentation on the evening of Jan. 12, which Nintendo is referring to as its “Tokyo webcast.” That will offer more details about the upcoming hardware, which Nintendo has remained mum on since the three-minute announcement trailer debuted in mid-October.

The Tokyo presentation will be held live for investors and media, Nintendo said in an earlier announcement. The company will reveal the Switch price and exact release date. Up until now, the platform has only been given a March 2017 launch window.

President of Nintendo of America Reggie Fils-Aimé guides Jimmy through Super Mario Run before debuting the Nintendo Switch game system by playing The Legend of Zelda in front of creator Shigeru Miyamoto.

That dude’s tongue tho…

Ha, I just noticed that. WTF is going on there?