Nintendo News!

Nintendo News!
0.0 0

Since the Switch isn’t the only piece of news from Nintendo lately… I guess it’s time to make this thread.

Retro-Bit has lifted the lid on its previously-announced Game Boy clone, the Super Retro Boy.
This all-in-one solution plays Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games, and comes equipped with a TFT HD scratch and shatter-resistant screen, 2,500 mAh battery which offers 10 hours of gameplay, four action buttons and a bundled 10-in-1 game cartridge. It’s expected to ship in North America this August with a retail price of $79.99.

I have to ask… who is this for?

[quote=“DarthSmurfX, post:1, topic:773”]
Why not release all the games digitally for the Switch instead?[/quote]

Because it’s not an official Nintendo product.

I see that now.

I’ve always been curious about the legality of these re-imagined “retro” consoles. There was always a small booth at PAX that had a whole bunch of Genesis and SNES all-in-ones, but there were never any games loaded on board. You had to use legit carts.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nintendo Switch

Referencing Fire Emblem Heroes, which launches on February 2nd, and Super Mario Run, which comes to Android in March, the company said: “To accommodate the releases and operation of these applications, we have revised the release schedule for Animal Crossing.” It’s now scheduled for “the next fiscal year,” which could be any time between April 2017 and March 2018.

As reported by The Wall Street Journal, the company says the game has been downloaded more than 78 million times worldwide, with more than 5 percent of players paying to unlock its full content.

Not too surprising…

Like I said before. Nintendo sucks.

And then discontinued by March.

To be fair, they’re a business and those probably aren’t profitable at all, considering how much cheaper it is to get one of those versus buying the games you want off the Virtual Console.

Good read on how Nintendo takes 1 step forward and 2 steps towards a cliff.

Some examples:

Anonymous Indie Dev #1

I’ve had a long-standing relationship with Nintendo for many years. We’ve gone out eating and drinking multiple times, and I consider many of them to be my friends. I’ve always brought my A game to Nintendo platforms and have been responsible for some of the highest rated games on their systems, so it had always been a good relationship. I reached out to them very early on back when the Switch was still called NX and people didn’t even know if it was a handheld or a console. It was a bit of a slap in the face that after all of the years of partnership, I would get very formal corporate responses to my emails.

I had always felt that Nintendo was trying to help us succeed in the past, but now that they’re the only platform with a new system, they’re just turning their backs on their most loyal partners. It felt very impersonal and arrogant. I’ll still probably make games for the Switch once I’m let in, but as soon as the honeymoon phase for the system is over, they are going to be way down on my list. From this point on, I no longer feel like I have a personal relationship with Nintendo. It’s 100% transactional.

There’s no doubt that Nintendo systems have been plagued by shovelware over the years. But Nintendo’s solution to this is broken. First, they’re being very inconsistent. Their stated policy is that they’re not allowing any ports. And yet, about half of the games are ports! Second, because the people in charge of making the decisions are marketing people with no experience on the development side, they don’t know how to evaluate games that are still in development. They look at a game that’s 20% complete and then they can’t extrapolate what it will be like after an additional year or two of development.

It’s a huge step backward for the industry for indies to be put in a position where we have to pitch games to a marketing guy who’s never made a game before. That’s the way the industry was ten years ago when the only way to release a game was through a publisher. Now indies should be able to go directly to consumers. And it’s the height of arrogance for Nintendo to think that it can predict where the next big hit is going to come from. Didn’t they learn anything from Nintendo 64? They tried this same approach back then and lost virtually all publisher support.

Nintendo. All you have are your first party games and indies. That’s it. Don’t kill the indies and attempt to sell hardware based solely on your IPs. It didn’t work for the Wii U, it won’t work here.

So, any predictions in what form this will take?

[quote=“Rewfus, post:13, topic:773, full:true”]
So, any predictions in what form this will take?[/quote]

Another mobile game I ignore.

UPDATE (9:50pm): Nintendo confirmed that this monthly plan has indeed changed, telling Kotaku: “Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will have ongoing access to a library of classic games with added online play. Users can play as many of the games as they want, as often as they like, as long as they have an active subscription.

Will Nintendo announce new details about its new online service plan at E3 2017?
We will announce further details later this year.

Does the compilation of classic games include Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 games?
At launch, the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration, but we have nothing further to announce at this time.

Will the test version of the chat app launching this summer include the appointment feature?
Starting this summer, any Nintendo Switch owner with a Nintendo Account and a supported smart device will be able to use a version of the smart-device app with limited functionality. We have nothing further to announce at this time.

Is a subscription to the new Switch online service the only way to get classic games or will there also be a virtual console-type service that allows you to purchase games individually?
We have nothing to announce on this topic.

Are the Classic Game Selection compilation titles yours to keep as long as you’re subscribed to Nintendo Online? Do you lose access to these games if you unsubscribe?
The Nintendo Switch Online collection of classic games is available only to users with an active subscription

So, Nintendo does something cool, like what I posted above, but then takes 2 steps back with their completely backwards and convoluted chat solution.

Just to play a game and chat you need more cables and cords wrapped around you than the PSVR headset. Nice job, Nintendo.

Silly Nintendo. Phones don’t come with headphone jacks anymore!