News Dump Truck

News Dump Truck
0.0 0

It’s not a full game of Halo, nor will you be running around as Master Chief, but it’s a first attempt at how Halo could look in virtual reality.

VR. …lol

Whoops.

We’re all just pawns in the giant machine

“For example, in one implementation, the system may include a microtransaction engine that arranges matches to influence game-related purchases,” according to the patent. “For instance, the microtransaction engine may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player.”

The system can also drop players into matches that will make use of an in-game-related purchase, according to the patent.
“Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases,” according to the patent. “For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results.

If you didn’t catch that…

The Star Wars game in development at Visceral will be revamped and move to a different studio.

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.”

Ugh. Really?

Sony can sell millions of copies of Uncharted, The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian (maybe) and other single-player, story-focused games. So why does EA think there is no market for that? I don’t get it. Just because Mass Effect Andromeda was rushed out the door and full of glitches, that is not OUR fault. Had the game cooked a little longer and NOT been released alongside Zelda and Horizon, the sales wouldn’t have tanked, EA.

And GAF never disappoints:

Fucking deplorable.

Visceral: "Hey, we’ve got a great idea for a Star Wars game."
EA: "Can you work loot crates into it somewhere?"
Visceral: "Well, it’s a single player story. Think Uncharted but Star Wars themed."
EA: "So is that a yes?"
Visceral: “…”

Visceral has been kicked

Soooo… NeoGAF is probably done.

Now where will I get all my news to post here?!?!

Smurf, you know what to do. We have rehearsed for this very moment.

Do thy bidding!

Wipe them out? All of them?

I love that so much!!! Whoever made that is a genius and deserves an award. Or five.

NeoGAF’s replacement is up and running—limited enrollment for now (I got in), so I’ll be posting my news from there from now on.

Another dead genre apparently. First AAA single player narrative games, now arcade games. Is our future really just going to be boiled down to opening loot crates?

Yes.

Premium currency as far as the eye can see.

YEEEEEEEEEEES