Mass Effect: Andromeda

Mass Effect: Andromeda
0.0 0

Well I did romance Cora… her reaction would be that.

In the wake of BioWare’s polarizing Mass Effect: Andromeda, fans have wondered where the lauded sci-fi series will go next. The answer, according to people familiar with the studio, is nowhere—at least for the time being. BioWare has put Mass Effect on hiatus and turned Andromeda’s developer, BioWare Montreal, into a support studio, according to four sources close to the company.

That doesn’t mean there will never be another Mass Effect game, of course. It’s unlikely that BioWare will kill the popular sci-fi franchise. But BioWare is letting Mass Effect sit for a while rather than putting staff on Andromeda’s follow-up right away, those sources said.

Ouch.

Good, because Andromeda ended up being a very underwhelming entry into the series, even following ME3. Something tells me that EA really, really wanted a nice “safe” chunk of money and just handed Mass Effect over to whatever studio didn’t have their hands full; I sincerely hope that both EA and BioWare will take the time and effort they need to find the right studio and people (mostly in the writing and story department IMO) to lead ME5.

Yeah, the more I play it… the more I realize it’s just a really long expansion.

The fact that at some points of the game, some minor mentions of ME2 is laughable. I’ll finish the game, but I personally witnessed my dude take a drink, turn his face and smash it into his cheek.

http://www.gamesradar.com/you-can-now-play-the-first-ten-hours-of-mass-effect-andromeda-for-free

You’ll need an EA Origin account but other than that all you need to do if go here and choose your platform from PS4, Xbox One or PC. You can then play for ten hours across single player and multiplayer, with all modes available. And your progress carries over, so if you decide to pay to continue, you won’t lose anything.

Yep, now officially the biggest waste of $48 I have ever spent.

I FINALLY started this last night. I made my character and her twin, finished the prologue and landed on my first planet. So far, so good. It feels like Mass Effect and I’m eager to jump back in. I’m glad I waited for the patches before starting, but the fall onslaught of games is about to begin…

Yeah, I saw your update on Lifebar. Was wondering what you were doing dipping your toes in to this game with that backlog I keep hearing about. I guess this was on the backlog and you needed to quench your curiosity somehow.

Random question for you, if there was some system, some metrics, where users could somehow track how long/what kind of investment they need to put in a game to get the optimal return, ROI if you will, does that sound interesting to you?

I’d have no way to ever know how to answer that question (my personal ROI) myself. The only time measurement that matters to me is how long it takes to complete a game. And not for ROI, just for how much time I need to invest in a game to see if I can squeeze it in before another game I’m interested in drops.

But back to ME:A…
Am I playing a completely different game than what was released? I have NO complaints so far. None. Okay, fine, one… but it’s about loading time after a death, but that’s it. I’m loving the story and the squad interactions, the combat feels fluid, exploring is great and this feels like Mass Effect. Did the patches really alter this game that much that I could see myself giving this an 8.5 or a 9 and not the 7s that were handed out by nearly every site out there? I’m not sure how far I am into the game, and my score could change depending on things that happen (or don’t), but so far it’s awesome. I keep thinking—while playing—about how we’ll never get single player DLC for this game and possibly never a sequel because of all the glitches and crap that I’m not experiencing and it makes me angry. I want to see what happens next in this game, but I want a sequel already because there’s a lot of potential in this spinoff.

They should have delayed this game into the summer. The patches could have been ready and it would have been distanced enough away from Horizon and Zelda. EA really botched this one.

I played the game before a lot of these patches, so I’m not sure how it might have improved. To be honest, I’d buy the sequel. I think I got a fair ROI from my time invested in this game. Apparently I played it enough that my wife started referring to me as Pathfinder at some point, so I’m cool with that. I saw it was available on this other thing… don’t care, I pumped in a bunch of time and I made peace with that.

I got really intrigued by everything by the time the ending came around. I wish they had fleshed out a bit of the characters a little better though. A bunch of them seemed very one-dimensional, but that’s fine. It’s just too bad there’s no real Paragon/Renegade system.

I didn’t think I’d miss that, but I do as well. I liked getting to the point where you can defuse or escalate situations due to your Paragon/Renegade rank. There’s been certain situations where I really wished there was a third option I could take because I was really well liked.

Also, I miss the Squad Wheel.

Other than that, I’m still enjoying it quite a bit.

Liam’s Loyalty Mission was so stinkin’ good.

WARNING: Spoilers below because the blurring code isn’t functioning. Read at your own risk.

I was worried after all the bad press, but after completing Andromeda this weekend, I’m happy to announce that Mass Effect remains my favorite series of all time!

Yes, even after all the patches, there were still some glaring glitches and bugs (especially in late game), but overall they did not detract from the experience. I love the ME universe! The Loyalty Missions were all awesome and my favorite parts of the game, the entire crew was likable, the plot and story were great (I don’t care what anyone says, this was the perfect way to carry on ME after ME3’s triple ending) and the final battle was what I’ve ALWAYS wanted from an ME game. Every ally you’ve acquired throughout your playthru plays a part in the finale, and at one point I looked around and saw allies fighting alongside me and thought, “why are they here, but the rest of my crew is just sitting on the ship twiddling their thumbs” and suddenly, I looked around and there they all were, blasting fools. Seeing my entire crew fighting the final fight was one of the best gaming experiences I’ve had in a long time. They were spouting one-liners and calling out action and it was so satisfying.

And this just adds to my devastation that this will never receive single-player DLC (where’s the Quarian Ark) or probably ever a sequel. I want to see my outposts 5 years from now and what the planets look like with the Remnant vaults working. I want to know who the Benefactor is. I want to know more about the aliens who built the Remnant. I want to see what the Kett do next. And most importantly, I want the Quarian Ark to show up, bringing the rest of the alien races we were promised early on in the game.

My only gripes are:

• Bad facial animations, even after numerous patches.
  • Glitched trophies (if you are not connected to the EA servers when they pop, you don’t get them and I didn’t realize that until I looked at 2 trophies I should have gotten early in the game—grrr).
  • Story elements that just sort of popped up—like, did I miss a datapad that explained the aliens who created the Remnant? All of a sudden, I knew their race’s name, but I never learned that organically in the game.
  • Kadara features WAY too many missions and is a huge pain to traverse, going from the port, to the slums to the open world. Way too much loading there and was just cumbersome.
  • Removal of Renegade/Paragon choices.
  • No squad wheel, but then again, I didn’t really miss it after awhile.
  • Other bugs and glitches, like textures that never loaded, characters floating in the air, missing guns, bad conversation angles, etc…

Overall, this is a great game, but EA really needed to delay it to about August. Get the glitches ironed out and space it out from Horizon (still my GOTY) and Zelda and this wouldn’t have tanked so badly. Even though it still sold well (#7 YTD), the bad reviews and ridiculous GIFs made Bioware and EA cease all production on this title and just gave up on it—which is truly a shame.

Yeah, it was pretty good and better than I expected, to be honest. The ending that highlighted your decisions was pretty epic. I don’t know why but I fucking hated Liam, but enjoyed everyone else… especially Cara.

Oh what the crap