WARNING: Spoilers below because the blurring code isn’t functioning. Read at your own risk.
I was worried after all the bad press, but after completing Andromeda this weekend, I’m happy to announce that Mass Effect remains my favorite series of all time!
Yes, even after all the patches, there were still some glaring glitches and bugs (especially in late game), but overall they did not detract from the experience. I love the ME universe! The Loyalty Missions were all awesome and my favorite parts of the game, the entire crew was likable, the plot and story were great (I don’t care what anyone says, this was the perfect way to carry on ME after ME3’s triple ending) and the final battle was what I’ve ALWAYS wanted from an ME game. [spoiler]Every ally you’ve acquired throughout your playthru plays a part in the finale, and at one point I looked around and saw allies fighting alongside me and thought, “why are they here, but the rest of my crew is just sitting on the ship twiddling their thumbs” and suddenly, I looked around and there they all were, blasting fools. Seeing my entire crew fighting the final fight was one of the best gaming experiences I’ve had in a long time. They were spouting one-liners and calling out action and it was so satisfying.[/spoiler]
And this just adds to my devastation that this will never receive single-player DLC (where’s the Quarian Ark) or probably ever a sequel. I want to see my [spoiler]outposts 5 years from now and what the planets look like with the Remnant vaults working. I want to know who the Benefactor is. I want to know more about the aliens who built the Remnant. I want to see what the Kett do next.[/spoiler] And most importantly, I want the Quarian Ark to show up, bringing the rest of the alien races we were promised early on in the game.
My only gripes are:
- Bad facial animations, even after numerous patches.
- Glitched trophies (if you are not connected to the EA servers when they pop, you don’t get them and I didn’t realize that until I looked at 2 trophies I should have gotten early in the game—grrr).
- Story elements that just sort of popped up—like, did I miss a datapad that explained the aliens who created the Remnant? All of a sudden, I knew their race’s name, but I never learned that organically in the game.
- Kadara features WAY too many missions and is a huge pain to traverse, going from the port, to the slums to the open world. Way too much loading there and was just cumbersome.
- Removal of Renegade/Paragon choices.
- No squad wheel, but then again, I didn’t really miss it after awhile.
- Other bugs and glitches, like textures that never loaded, characters floating in the air, missing guns, bad conversation angles, etc…
Overall, this is a great game, but EA really needed to delay it to about August. Get the glitches ironed out and space it out from Horizon (still my GOTY) and Zelda and this wouldn’t have tanked so badly. Even though it still sold well (#7 YTD), the bad reviews and ridiculous GIFs made Bioware and EA cease all production on this title and just gave up on it—which is truly a shame.