LEGO™ Dimensions

LEGO™ Dimensions
0.0 0

LEGO Dimensions

The LEGO toy brand's first foray into the burgeoning "toys-to-life" genre of video games, Dimensions brings together various pop-culture series together in an epic minifigure mash-up.

First Released

September 27, 2015

Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, Xbox One, PlayStation 4

TT Games, Traveller's Tales Ltd.

Find out more at Giant Bomb

I have yet to fall into the Amiibo/Disney Infiniti/“whatever that other toy-based game is called” trap, but this just may do it.

Especially after this news:

Also, Simpsons, Scooby Doo and Jurassic World:

I am worried this may do it for me too. I’ve been looking for an excuse to give my wife so I could buy LEGOs as a grown man for sometime, and this just might be it.

SKYLANDERS! I knew the name would come to me eventually.

EDIT: And I just noticed it’s in the GiantBomb description afterwards.

@MrBimble 's kids are/were big in to Skylanders, so he could tell us all about those. Maybe this will be his excuse to buy toys for the “kids” and sneak away at night to play with them.

I own tons of Star Wars LEGOs already. I should take a picture of my setup to post here. But I digress… it’s a real shame, tragedy even, that Disney Infiniti has Star Wars and Marvel covered or else we could see Marvel vs. DC in the LEGOverse.

My kids have a couple different Skylander games and both Disney Infinity games. Unless you like to (and have the patience to) build your own world, the Infinity games aren’t as fun as Skylanders. The ‘levels’ that come with the game aren’t all that exciting. I find Skylanders to be more of a traditional game experience.

I hope this Lego game is more along the lines of Skylanders. I think the kids (and me) would enjoy it much more.

This is about a quarter of my collection. Only my favorites made it to the shelves leading down to the basement (most prequel sets didn’t make the cut). And the reason the top shelf is so barren is because I can’t reach it, but was able to slide the X-wing up there barely.

Ok, no more pictures, you are going to give me the itch and I already have enough useless crap to spend my money on.

That’s fine. The rest of my pics would be of open bins filled with partially destroyed ships and minifigs.

Those would actually be better ones to share. Curb my enthusiasm a bit.

That’s what most of my kid’s Legos look like.

As previously outed by a number of instruction manuals, toys from lines including The Simpsons, Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, Portal, Jurassic World, Midway Arcade, LEGO Chima and Scooby-Doo will all join the title alongside previously announced franchises like DC Comics, The Lord of the Rings, The LEGO Movie, The Wizard of Oz, LEGO Ninjago and Back to the Future.

Maybe I will have to get this…for the kids.

This game is becoming more and more attractive by the day. Will this finally be what carries me over the toy to life hurdle?

So @DarthSmurfX, you pick this up yet or what?

Getting some good reviews:

Game Informer 8.75/10

Gamespot 8/10

Gamesradar 3.5/5

Grandma bought this for my boys. We haven’t cracked it open yet, but I should have some impressions soon.

My Review:

It’s a Lego game. If you enjoy their formula of breaking and building Legos to solve puzzles and collecting studs and gold/red bricks - you will enjoy this game. The only difference is instead of unlocking characters with special abilities (which are used to access different areas of missions) in game, you now buy them in the real world, with real money.

One annoying aspect of the game is that it requires you to move characters to different locations on the portal. I must be getting old and lazy, because I have no desire to get up and swap the characters around. So here’s a pro-tip - put the portal next to you. The gimmick is hit and miss as most of the time the swapping seems entirely arbitrary, but there are times where it actually adds to solving a puzzle.

This doesn’t make me want to play the game anymore than before, but it sure has me wanting to watch the movie again…and again…and maybe again