Indie Pile: The Thread

Indie Pile: The Thread
0.0 0

Love the art style. Hope it isn’t clunky, though. Picking up some Ori and the Blind Forest vibes.

It’s that autonomy that led us to the decision that our small game needed to be something kind of different. I’m hesitant to even call it a game in the traditional sense. More of an experience. We began with the idea of “gaslighting,” a subtle form of psychological manipulation in which one person uses the other person’s reliance on their relationship to make them doubt their perceptions and reality. Inspired by the emotional power of Fullbright’s Gone Home, the beautiful non-traditional presentation of TGC’s Journey, and influence from the original Myst, we combined this theme of psychological abuse with our own developed concept of nontraditional storytelling.

What emerged is an experiment in empathy. A victim of intense suffering cannot get over their trauma because their mind re-lives that event again and again, keeping it inescapably cemented in their thoughts. So what if your own home — every room, every object, every person who lives there — was the very prison of obligation that trapped you within your suffering? How would you escape? Could you?

With Deliriant, we ask the player for some reflection. When trauma is shared with you, you experience some fraction of it yourself, and that creates understanding. We’re definitely offering something out of the box and asking a lot of the player, but my greatest hope is that someone’s perspective will be positively impacted by our game. That by itself would be success.

Thank you for reading, and we can’t wait to see all of you on May 23!

Looks pretty and I’m starting to really like “walking simulators” so I may have to check this out if the price is right.

Anyone checking this out? Seems to have some decent buzz around it.

Dead Cells

Dead Cells is a rogue-lite set in an ever-changing castle.

First Released

May 10, 2017

Mac, PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Linux, Nintendo Switch

Motion Twin

Platformer, Action-Adventure

Find out more at Giant Bomb

I heard Jason and Ben talking about it on the last Bombcast. It sounds interesting, very Rouge Legacy-ish with possibly better gameplay. The only gripe Jason had was that he got a few levels in and still was fighting the same enemies, but from the video it looks like there may be some more variation?

The trailer alone gave me chills. The art style, the theme… this looks incredible.

Last Day of June is an interactive tale about love and loss from an all-star team of creators including critically acclaimed director Massimo Guarini (Murasaki Baby, Shadows of the Damned) and award-winning musician and record producer Steven Wilson, featuring a collaboration with writer/director Jess Cope (animator on “Frankenweenie”, director for Metallica’s “Here Comes Revenge” music video).

Join Carl and June on what begins as a magical outing to their favorite spot, and try to unlock the sequence of events that could save the day – and June’s life – in this cinematic experience that compels players to ask themselves “What would you do to save the one you love?”

A Heart-Driven Quest: Last Day of June is inspired by Steven Wilson’s haunting song “Drive Home.” Recreated as an interactive adventure, Last Day of June takes players on a profound and poignant journey.

Poetry in Motion: A true artistic innovation in visualizing a bittersweet story told through a welcoming, painterly world that showcases the beauty of life and love, but also the contradictions of loss.

Empathy Through Experience: Determined to save his beloved and fueled by the power of grief, Carl introduces players to June’s last day. But as they interact with the narrative, players will progress from viewer to a character deeply intertwined in the story.

Fate-Altering Puzzles: Relive June’s last day by traveling back in time through her paintings in an attempt to change the results of the fateful and final drive home by solving emotionally challenging puzzles.

Interactive Storytelling: Carl and June’s story progresses at key moments where life-changing decisions need to be made, but players may need to navigate unintentional consequences that create new dilemmas – and potentially new opportunities.

That does look fantastic. If they don’t release on June 30th, which it doesn’t sound like they will, I am going to be sorely disappointed.

Search has been weird for me and not finding words that I know we’ve posted but I bought Nex Machina, the new game from the Resogun dev, and it’s pretty friggin’ fun. So, bad part is, unless I’m missing it, there is no online MP…which is fucking dumb. There is local, so Shareplay is an option.

The game itself is basically Resogun as a twinstick shooter. Almost literally. You gotta rescue humans, who can be taken away, like Resogun. You got those enemies that move on a track and you get a little bonus if you get them all, like Resogun. You got a dash that can save you damage, like Resogun, BUT in this game they only blow up if you get the power up that gives you that ability

. I’d almost say it’s a lazy port, which it still might be, but its fun as hell. And there’s a “goal system” (IDK what its really called) that rewards you for not just clearing enemies in a stage, but finding hidden humans and boosts, secret levels, and a couple more things. I think you can actually affect a subsequent level if you blow up geometry on your current level. But its all about kiting that last POS enemy as you try and find the secrets.

I pre-ordered it and am happy I did so. I miss the Resogun mechanics but not necearrily the game and played the crap out of Ultratron (which you should check out) so this fills a nice niche.

For the current price of $20, YMMV depending upon how much you enjoy Resogun and twinstick shooters but maybe check it out.

Thanks for the review. I’ve been keeping my eye on this game for a while. Sucks it doesn’t have online co-op though.

I haven’t played a good Sim City-style game in a long, long time.

No news on if this will have an English version or not, but I thought the trailer had a nifty concept: surviving as a civilian during a giant monster attack.

Bandai Namco has released the first full-length trailer for City Shrouded in Shadow, its survival adventure game from Disaster Report developer Granzella.

The game follows the player, an ordinary man or woman—not a hero—as they attempt to survive in a multitude of disasters involving “giant shadows” that suddenly appear. These giant shadows include Ultraman, Nise Ultraman, Alien Zarab, Godzilla, King Ghidorah, Evangelion Unit-01, The Fourth Angel, Gamera, Soldier Legion, and Patlabor’s AV-98 “Ingram,” CRL-98 “Pyro-Buster,” Type 5Q/2C “Grau Bear,” and more.

City Shrouded in Shadow is due out for PlayStation 4 in Japan on October 19.

lol Disaster Report

I nominate this for 2017’s Worst Way to Advertise Your Game. Enjoy.

Since matches only last 5 to 12 minutes, players feel more at ease experimenting with new strategies, or trying crazy stuff to catch their opponents off guard. As with single-player, all maps are procedurally generated, and players can customize their hidden army before the start of the match, so no two games are exactly alike!

Of course, if online competitive play is too intimidating, you can always play Split Screen with up to four players. Or if you’ve got a buddy that you like to play couch-co-op games with, you can play mixed Split Screen and Online in 2v2 matches as well.

This is all sounding kinda fun.

As someone who just started playing around with the Retropie again, this looks very intriguing. Being made/published by the maker of the modern Spelunky, as well as a handful of other indie developers.

Do you like watching numbers ? Try this.

I hate you, Bimble.

It took me over 8 hours to get to the end. Yes it has an end.