Indie Pile: The Thread

Indie Pile: The Thread
0.0 0

So many indie games come out every week that the amount of threads would be insurmountable. So, we can post news and videos featuring some of the lesser known ones here. Maybe. We’ll see…

Toren
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/07/toren-ventures-onto-ps4-may-12th/

Nom Nom Galaxy
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/07/nom-nom-galaxy-lands-on-ps4-next-week/

Kickstarter Pile: The Thread

Both games look like they have potential. Toren looks very ambitious, which could be to it’s detriment, but hopefully it can pull it off.

Pixel Junk always makes super polished products, I just have never really gotten hooked on any of them, and Nom Nom Galaxy doesn’t necessarily looks like it will change that. I do like the originality of it, however. Maybe I will be wrong and it will totally win me over, especially if I have other people to play it with.

I’m afraid both of these titles (and most indies on PSN for that matter) might fall in to that dangerous wait for PS+ freebie trap. They offer so many great games for free on that service, it really makes you think twice about purchasing any of these smaller titles.

I don’t really know what Volume is about, but the level editor looks pretty cool:

Volume

yeah, looks like it could be an interesting game. I was a big fan of Thomas is Alone, so I will have to check this out.

Volume

Volume is a stealth game by Thomas Was Alone designer, Mike Bithell.

First Released

August 18, 2015

Platforms

Mac, PC, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation Network (Vita), PlayStation 4

Developers

Mike Bithell Games

Genres

Puzzle

Find out more at Giant Bomb

Wander

A non-combat and non-competitive multiplayer for PC, Mac, Linux, and PlayStation 4.

First Released

June 4, 2015

Platforms

Mac, PC, PlayStation 4, Linux

Developers

Wander MMO

Genres

Simulation

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/28/wander-coming-to-ps4-on-june-4th/

Another thing we’ve come up with is a very cool idea for a menu system that doesn’t involve a menu at all! This non-menu will allow the player to manage the map, review their communication glyphs, and change into other forms they’ve found. On top of that, it looks fantastic, too!

Now, you all might be thinking: “Glyphs? What is a glyph and what does it have to do with me?” Well, my lovelies, if you want to communicate with other wanderers, it’s not simply a matter of walking up to them and introducing yourself. You’ve got to learn how, just like in real life! You could be talking to someone who speaks a completely different language than you do, after all.

Thus, while traversing the rainforest you will come across stones that teach you how to draw symbols, which will allow you to speak to other players. This also makes use of the PS4 controller in a very cool and innovative way, by drawing symbols on the touch pad. So basically, the more you search, the more you can say! Do with this knowledge what you wish. You could become the most helpful person in Wander, using what you’ve learned to help new players find useful and interesting places, lorestones, etc. You could become a legend among wanderers. Or, you could just make some friends and then let them figure things out on their own. Your call.

EarthNight

Fantastical runner about two heroes trying to take back the Earth which has been besieged by giant flying dragons.

First Released

December 31, 2015

Platforms

Mac, PC, iPhone, Android, PlayStation Network (Vita), PlayStation 4

Developers

Cleaversoft

Genres

Platformer

We are creating a game in which each run is unique but feels meticulously hand-designed, where the player always experiences something different while still recognizing patterns. To achieve this we’re using what we call “hand-designed procedural generation.” We’ve broken down each dragon (level) into three chunks: a beginning, middle and end. Each of these chunks has at least five hand-designed variations that spawn procedurally according to a set of rules. This means the most basic dragons have 125 different potential layout variations. The first world contains four different dragons and therefore offers 244 million potential seeds. By World 2, there are over 59 quadrillion seeds and the finished game will have about 6.93 x 10^39 possible seeds. Basically, no matter how many runs you take, your path to EarthNight will always be different.

The other good news is we’ve finished transitioning to Unity 5. EarthNight is running at 60fps in 1080p on PS4, and it looks beautiful. The bad news is we’re pushing back the release date until late 2016. Rest assured, we are working as hard as we can to finish, but we all feel in our hearts that we have something special here and we need to finish what we started the right way. We are getting there, and I promise we will ship this game as soon as it’s ready.

RIVE

A 2D shooter/platformer from Two Tribes.

First Released

September 13, 2016

Platforms

Mac, PC, Wii U, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Linux, Nintendo Switch

Developers

Two Tribes

Genres

Action, Shooter, Platformer

ooh, Rive looks right up my alley.

Pneuma: Breath of Life

An Unreal Engine 4 powered first-person puzzler which is designed to force players to think outside the box and explore beyond what they know as reality through the eyes of a god.

First Released

February 27, 2015

Platforms

PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4

Developers

Deco Digital, Bevel Studios

Genres

Puzzle

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/04/philosophical-puzzler-pneuma-breath-of-life-coming-to-ps4-on-77/

For those not in the know, Pneuma: Breath of Life is a first-person puzzler that puts gamer’s minds to the test in a visually stunning world using the combined power of PS4 and Epic’s Unreal Engine 4. Pneuma pushes players to think outside the box and explore beyond what they know as reality through the eyes of a god.

Gamers who solve the mysteries of Pneuma’s world will progress through a narrated story of self-discovery, exploring the fundamental nature of being. To give you an idea of how this works we’ve released a brand new gameplay trailer to help you wrap your head around the plethora of mind bending puzzles you’ll encounter in the game.

At Deco Digital, we’ve always wanted to create games that challenge player’s expectations and perceptions of videogames as a medium. One of the design challenges when creating Pneuma was developing puzzles around our completely unique observation mechanic which allows you to lift bridges, rotate platforms, and move entire buildings. All with the combined power of your sight & mind.

For example, certain puzzles requires you to traverse your way across a room with no obvious way of getting to the other side. It’s your job to manipulate the objects with the world using the power of your vision to make the environment bend to your will. Only then can you progress in Pneuma’s story of self-discovery.

I am finally back in the US and have good enough internet to watch YouTube videos! EarthNight is very pretty. I also love how it’s continuing the year of beards!

Rive looks good, but where is the co-op!?!? Looks like it would be a great co-op game, although maybe a little hectic.

I’m loving the revival of gorgeous first person puzzlers! I’m really looking forward to The Talos Principle coming to PS4 at some point, but this looks like it is a worthy stop gap.

My Wallet Ran Away From Home - The Hype Train

Action Henk

A racing game that pits would-be action figure Action Henk against various other toys in peril-filled obstacle races to prove himself the best.

First Released

May 11, 2015

Platforms

Mac, PlayStation Network (PS3), PC, PlayStation Network (Vita), Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Linux

Developers

RageSquid, Curve Digital Entertainment

Genres

Platformer

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/05/action-henk-butt-slides-to-ps4-ps3-ps-vita/

RageSquid is a young game development studio from The Netherlands, and Action Henk is our debut title. This means it’s also the first time we will ever be launching a game on console, which is super exciting for us! The game is heavily inspired by our childhoods, and it’s set in a colorful world full of toys and nostalgia.

I Am Bread

A game from the team that made Surgeon Simulator. In I Am Bread, the player assumes the role of a piece of bread as it explores the house around it.

First Released

December 3, 2014

Platforms

Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, Android, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Amazon Fire TV

Developers

Bossa Studios

Genres

Platformer

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/05/i-am-bread-flopping-its-way-to-ps4/

You’ll find we’ve added a whole host of game modes that see you taking control of a new type of bread, each with their own variation of the controls and completely new goals and challenges. Become a baguette as you smash your way around the various levels, trying to cause as much destruction as possible; or become a bagel, and roll your way around a series of race courses in record time.

To top it all off, you’ll find a whole host of challenging Trophies to try and earn with all your bready companions. So I hope you’re ready to face the trials and tribulations that come with trying to be bread!

I am so glad there are people in this world who invest time and money to create I am Bread.

Super Meat Boy

When his beloved Bandage Girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, the diminutive yet plucky Meat Boy springs into action!

First Released

October 20, 2010

Platforms

Mac, Xbox 360 Games Store, PC, Android, Wii U, PlayStation Network (Vita), PlayStation 4, Linux, Nintendo Switch

Developers

Team Meat, BlitWorks

Genres

Platformer

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/08/super-meat-boy-coming-to-ps4-ps-vita-yes-really/

When Super Meat Boy was launched, Team Meat wasn’t allowed to bring it to PS3 for very complicated reasons. They hated that they had to alienate the loyal PlayStation fans who desperately wanted the game but couldn’t have it. They felt their pain as PlayStation fans had to suffer for years without the greatest platformer ever made by two guys named Tommy and Edmund. Team Meat was very sad about this, but what could they do? Their hands were tied.

Earlier this year, Team Meat got an unexpected gift. The gods smiled upon them and opened up a teeny tiny sliver of a path that could eventually lead them to re-release Super Meat Boy. Even though the path would be difficult they knew they owed it to their fans to at least try.

Fast forward to today. We walked that arduous path and with a lot of hard work, a little convincing, and huge scoops of luck we are now here today with huge smiles on our faces to say:

SUPER MEAT BOY IS COMING TO PS4 AND PLAYSTATION VITA!!!

Crazy right?! We actually never ever EVER thought this day would come and it makes us both so happy that it’s finally here! We know this has been a long time coming but better late than never. Expect to be playing Super Meat Boy on your PS4 and PS Vita later this year.

Oh…and we almost forgot: It’s going to be free on Playstation Plus at launch. That’s our way of saying “Thank you for waiting patiently” to all those PlayStation fans that reached out to us over the years only to get back a “we can’t do it, sorry” response. We love you guys and girls and we’re so happy that you can finally play Super Meat Boy on your system of choice!

FREE!!! I’ll play this again on the Playstation for that price.

Great news! I own it on Steam, but like many Steam games, I have yet to play it except for the first couple levels. I hear so much about how it influenced many games after it, it will be great to finally get my hands on it in mobile form.

I never played Meatboy so this is awesome news.

Now if only there is a way to transfer my 360 save to the PS4 so I don’t have to throw my controller at the wall for some of those levels that took forever to beat.

Very, very challenging little gem of a game. I hate it so much and I love it so much. Own the 360 version. Might double dip.

Thumper

A psychedelic rhythm game from two ex-Harmonix developers.

First Released

October 10, 2016

Platforms

PC, iPhone, iPad, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch

Developers

Drool

Genres

Music/Rhythm

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/08/thumper-bringing-rhythm-violence-to-ps4/

I don’t know what I just watched, but it looked cool. A psychedelic beetle?