Horizon Zero Dawn

Horizon Zero Dawn
0.0 0

Well? How is it?

This day is dragging, fo sho.

I didn’t get to play much. I had to work overtime and then Culver’s messed up my order and I had to drive all the way back to get my cheese curds. I only had time to watch the opening scene, but it sure was purdy.

Ahh, you must have left your system on idle then. I was up all night with a fussy baby and saw your status as playing Horizon at 2 AM, figuring you were already hooked.

This is starting to sound like some fake news.

Yeah. It was in idle all night.

This game has an amazing setup, but I swear if it continues to rely on crouching in tall grass while throwing rocks/whistling and performing stealth kills I am going to pull my hair out. I can see there are different ways to spec, so I’m pretty sure I will spec towards combat, as I have played about 3 hours of this game, and while I am really liking it, I can’t say there is anything I have really done it it yet that I haven’t done in countless Assassin’s Creed, Hitman, Farcry games before.

Yeah, if I have any major negatives to say about this game after watching my roommate play so much of it, it’s definitely how cookie-cutter and boringly overpowered stealth is. You can pretty much just let bodies pile up in front of you without much effort.

He’s about level 13 or 14 and still utilizing tall grass, both in the open-world and during quests.

That’s exactly what I am frustrated about. Stealth kills are one hit kills for most of the early stage enemies, but if you take an enemy head on it takes a lot of effort, so they are almost forcing your hand to go stealth and do the same ol’ thing you do in countless other games. I am optimistic this will change with more difficult enemies, one of which I have already taken on and stealth wasn’t nearly sufficient, just wasn’t a great way to start a game. But I can also see how it’s a good way to ease in less experienced players, so who knows. That’s why I don’t design games.

I got to play a bunch this weekend and I love this game. I don’t play a ton of open world games nor RPGs, but I’m addicted to this one. I was relying on stealth a lot in the early game, so much so that I thought I was invincible. Then, without spoiling anything, I get trapped in a place with NO cover and a huge enemy. I now needed to learn how to fight something head on instantly and it was quite fun. Oh, I have traps I’ve never used before?!?!? Let’s give those a whirl. Oh, what’s this thing I picked up awhile ago and never used? It’s getting equipped. Suddenly, after being ripped from my comfort zone, the whole game opened up to me and now I can go into situations doing things completely different.

Plus, it doesn’t hurt that the game is gorgeous and I’m invested in the story.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17097328_10154372174289135_657276699646697682_o.jpg?oh=13b9cdf26fb26e68ef68697b719a52f6&oe=596D93B8

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17015850_10154368513549135_6606899163334977115_o.jpg?oh=39143f694049d4d697d104ac67715610&oe=59676AE2

Yeah, I’m enjoying the hell out of this game. I assumed I would as this style of open world action make up most of my favorite games (Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry). The story is great, most side missions really are pretty fun and interesting and not just repetitive. The stealth mechanics of the early areas really do go by the wayside once you start fighting bigger stuff. Love having to adapt strategies for different situations. Most of the combat tools really do have a need. The story is really grabbing me, though, really looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Good to know.

I’m still finding stealth to be pretty overpowered, especially for dealing with herds where you don’t really have any crowd management mechanics, but it’s not as bad as it was at the beginning of the game.

I actually spec’ed right away to be able to call a mount at anytime, and now that I’m further in with more powerful mounts I’m finding often times I can just rush in with my mount and mess things up before the enemy hardly has time to react. I think I’ll be sticking to that messy but effective combat strategy for awhile.

I don’t think I say this enough, but arrow headshots feel SO GOOD in this game.

I’m probably about a dozen hours in to this, and while the stealth combat is still a weak point, this is the first game where I have actually read every “codec” I’ve come across. I am liking the story far more than I was expecting and it has been driving me to to play late in to the night like no game has done for a very long time. That’s all I have to say for now, back to Horizon.

Wow, I actually completed a game. That is a rarity these days. Now I just have to decide if I’m moving on to Mass Effect or Zelda. ugh

######…Zelda…

Platinumed? Or just “completed”? :wink: