Horizon Zero Dawn

Horizon Zero Dawn
0.0 0

Horizon Zero Dawn

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

First Released

February 28, 2017

Platforms

PlayStation 4

Developers

Guerrilla Games

Genres

Role-Playing, Shooter, Action-Adventure

Find out more at Giant Bomb

As some guessed, robot dinosaurs. I’m in.

It looked really cool.

Surprised me. Went from not even knowing it existed to very hyped. Great showing.

The project, which began back in 2011 and really ramped up production after the launch of Killzone: Shadow Fall, looks to be the most ambitious game Guerrilla has ever worked on. According to the studio, the single-player, completely open-world (meaning that anywhere you see, you can go) action-RPG falls halfway on the spectrum between the action-oriented open world games that Ubisoft has been producing for the past 7 years, and the most RPG-focused adventures that Bethesda works on.

Of course, as far as the core combat goes, Horizon seems to deliver an incredibly intense experience. Watching Aloy set up a series of tripwires across two tall rocks, scaring a group of Grazers into running off, and seeing them set off the bombs and get completely blown apart showcased the neat sandbox elements that Guerrilla promised throughout Horizon. When it came to fighting the big hulking dino at the end of the demo, watching her target specific armor plates, shoot them off with her armor-piercing arrows, and attack the weaker core with a barrage of fire arrows cued us in to just how deep each of these massive encounters could be.

http://www.gamesradar.com/horizon-robot-dinosaur-rpg-details/

• It’s a full open world with no loading between areas. "The whole world is explorable. Every mountaintop is accessible, every river you can go through, every valley, and this is basically one of many valleys", says Jan.
  • It’s a post-apocalyptic game but “a thousand years beyond modern civilisation’s collapse”.
  • One of the weapons, a rope caster which can be used to tie down robosaurs, can also be used to lay explosive tripwire traps.
  • Combat is tactical, benefiting players who prepare by surveying the environment, laying traps and learning the robots’ weak points.
  • Fighting styles roughly break down into three types: “There’s one that’s very much focused on stealth, one that’s focused on firepower, one that’s focused on setting traps and hunting. So there are ways where you get to customise your character and tune her more towards your play style, or develop them all to make her more into a Jack of all trades,” says Jan.
  • Combat is focused on the bow. “They have a limited understanding of the technology,” says Jan, "enough that they can make explosive arrows from the shells that the machines use but they don’t have enough knowledge to reverse engineer any of this.
  • Jan says that, “the XP system is mostly tied to the perk system, so you can develop and focus your character”. Much of the RPG side is “focused on the more natural progression of harvesting stuff from robots, materials, learning how to craft new weapons, new armour, new weapons types, new ammo types. That’s really where the core of the character progression system is”.
  • The perk system lets you develop these fighting styles with specific abilities like stealth kills or the time-slowing precision aiming mode.
  • There’s a “full climbing and traversal system” says Jan, “you can climb up mountains, climb into trees, swim through rivers”. Useful if you want to flee the robots instead of fight.
  • The game will have some sort of online component according to Jan. “The core of the game is a single player experience, but there are certain social features in there”.
  • Hunting isn’t the only option with robots, although “the other interactions you can have [is] something we’re not going into yet”. When asked directly if you could get on a large plate-headed robot’s head, Jan answered, “that is something you will see later”.

I’m really crossing my fingers this turns out as good as it looks. I almost don’t want to read everything you posted at the risk of getting too hyped up for it. I would rather be pleasantly surprised than let down, but that’s just pessimistic me.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-exclusives-protagonist-inspired-other-strong-women-says-462317

"One of the directions we were very interested in was a character like Sarah Connor in Terminator, Ripley in Alien or, more recently, Ygritte from Game Of Thrones," de Jonge told OPM. "Very strong female characters. That’s where we started.”

Oh, and they are showing more of this next week:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/07/29/new-horizon-zero-dawn-details-revealed-gamescom-stream-game-happening-next-tuesday/

https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/11703394_930382023684277_5541648435816178930_o.jpg

drool

Andrew also detailed the key points that they had in mind for Horizon Zero Dawn.

• Horizon is a vastly open world where you can pretty much go anywhere that you see, including the tops of mountains.
  • Since this is a living real world, we simulate the spinning of the earth by having a time of day cycle.
  • Weather is part of the environment so it will be changing and evolving as well.
  • There’s lots of epic scenery: Mountains, forests, plains, and lakes.
  • Skies are a big part of the landscape of horizon. They make up half of the screen. Skies are also are a very important part of storytelling as well as world building.

“They are used to tell us where we are, when we are, and they can also be used as thematic devices in storytelling, ” explained Andrew when talking about the Skies of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Impressive. Most impressive.

More of the same, but more details.

The upcoming PS4 exclusive will be a purely single player experience
and it won’t have a multiplayer component. In a recent interview with IGN Latino America, Mark Norris, executive producer of Horizon Zero Dawn explained why this is the case.

“There are questions as to why a multiplayer will not do. The reality
is that we are putting together a new IP. We are making a new franchise
for the first time in 10 years and what we really want to do is improve
the experience for the player. When you get to face these machines as
Eloy, with this great character, who is the real star of the story and
everything that happens, have this connection with her. But what happens
when you take the elements of multiplayer? You play as a supporting
character? How does that work?,” he stated.

He also drew comparisons with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and how CD Projekt RED focused only on the single player portion.

"It is an action RPG with a single player experience. I think we’re similar in that way, we want this to be the story of Eloy. Although a multiplayer mode is great and maybe we can think of something for the future, but we want Horizon Zero Dawn’s story to be on Eloy and it’s going to be fantastic when you play with it.”

Wow, now that’s a URL.

I have to say, as I get older I like the trend of a single player campaign without multiplayer much more than a multiplayer game without a single player campaign. That’s just because I hate people though…

Well, if the delay to improve the game doesn’t have the same ‘results’ as The Division, then I’m cool with it.

What if the improved parts will only be noticeable on the PS4k. Would you still be cool with it?

If the delay is to make it better for PS4NEO, then I’m fully against it and I now hate the PS4NEO and will actively rally against it. And by “actively,” I really mean “heavily sigh, roll my eyes and continue on with my life.”

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/06/horizon-zero-dawn-new-trailer-new-release-date/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-FCsiF5x4

As you can see in the trailer, we’ve decided to push the release date for Horizon Zero Dawn to February 28, 2017. It wasn’t an easy choice to make; we know many of you have been anxious to play the game since we first announced it. However, we also want to ensure that Horizon Zero Dawn lives up to the visuals and gameplay quality that our games are known for. The new date affords us the extra time required to deliver fully on our ambitious vision for Horizon Zero Dawn.

We realize that this decision may not please everyone. At the same time, we’re confident that the advantages of the additional development time afforded by the new date will become clear in the coming months, as we start to share more cool details and videos from Horizon Zero Dawn. We really, really appreciate your patience and continued support, and look forward to bringing you the best game we possibly can in February 2017.

Boooo to the new date, but dang that game looks good.

http://i.imgur.com/ngiXjPT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SZ8KbGQ.jpg

I have highlighted how my brain finished your sentence above. I know it’s like beating a dead horse by now, but I can’t help but be worried about that.

HHHHHYYYYYPPPPPEEEEE

EDIT: As much as I’m super interested in this game, mainly for robot dinosaurs, I found the dialogue in the trailer to be pretty bland. Also I’m just going to assume that Aloy is either a cyborg that believes she’s human and turns out to be some kind of special snowflake key to unlock humanity’s past, or something something nanomachines. I mean, her name is one letter away from ‘alloy’ for goodness sake.