0.0 0

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

An action game from Ninja Theory.

First Released

August 8, 2017

PC, PlayStation 4

Ninja Theory

Find out more at Giant Bomb

I’m confused. Is E3 still happening next week?

Hellblade launches next year on PS4 and tells the story of Celtic Warrior Senua and her journey into Hell. The Hell in question is no ordinary Hell, but is in fact a Hell that is the manifestation of Senua’s mental illness. Senua experiences psychosis, including hallucinations and delusions, as well as suffering from anxiety and depression. As a player you will witness Senua’s living nightmare through her own eyes.

From George Orwell’s 1984, to George Romero’s Dawn of the Dead, the best fantasy breaks down barriers and lets us see the world without prejudice. This is what we want to do with Hellblade. To see the world through Senua’s eyes, and in doing so, address a subject that is still considered taboo.

Developing Hellblade independently gives us the freedom to tackle a subject as challenging as mental health. It is a subject that we are handling with all the respect it deserves, ensuring that our portrayal of Senua’s condition is both accurate and sensitive.

To help us with this we are working closely with Professor Paul Fletcher, a professor of Health Neuroscience at the University of Cambridge, as well as arranging to consult directly with people who have experience of mental health difficulties. We are also very proud to say that Hellblade is being supported by Wellcome Trust, which is a global charitable foundation which aims to build a greater public understanding of science and in particular health.

Hellblade is being developed by a small team of 15 people under a new development model that we are calling Independent AAA. The idea behind this is that we can create a game independently, with creative freedom, but still deliver AAA quality production values. As part of this we’re creating the game openly, sharing as much of the development process as possible. You can follow Hellblade’s journey at Hellblade.com and via the Ninja Theory social channels.

Now… that’s a cool premise for a game.

Honestly. What’s up with all these leaks/early announcements/new trailers?!

At any rate, this looks fantastic based on the short teaser and description. Didn’t finish Heavenly Sword and I purchased (but never opened) Enslaved, so I don’t have strong opinions of Ninja Theory. I’ll keep my eyes out for more Hellblade stuff. Intrigues me.

It’s neat to see more games tackling the topic of mental illness. Hopefully it’s a sign of a maturing industry, if done well. I know there have been some swings and misses in the past, but here’s hoping Hellblade is a homerun.

I also enjoyed Heavenly Sword, but never finished. Played the first few levels of Enslaved, but never went back to it. I really liked the characters they were setting up though.

Real-time facial animation during the trailer presentation at GDC.

Skip to the 40 minute mark if it doesn’t do it automatically.

I highly recommend watching that trailer with headphones… the voices are that much creepier as they shift from ear to ear.

Wow, that’s creepy, and super awesome. It’s a shame @jango is going to miss out on all of this VR fun.

Bah, he’ll “have to buy it for the kids”.

What’s this VR nonsense you speak of, I thought this was a normal PS4 action game?

The guy in the video just mentions how this technology could potentially make VR games much more intimate as you would have an immediate connection with the character. It was a bit of a stretch, but I thought I would run with it.

Okay, good. You had me worried there for a moment.

So, is that VR 2.0? Real time facial recognition so that others can essentially see the virtual you, mannerisms and all? That’s kind of a creepy concept, no?

Mix that with that Japanese kissing machine and Microsoft has a new Skype bundle to sell.

I actually think that’s an amazing concept. You get the appeal of a video cam without the threat of dongs (I’m looking at you, Xbox Uno).

No dongs, no point.

I wouldn’t say I’ll be missing it.

This comes directly from the file labeled “Obviously.”

Completely forgot about this game, but damn it appeals to me.

I, too, keep forgetting about this game.

Hello PlayStation fans, Dom here from Ninja Theory. I wanted to take the opportunity to update you on the progress of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, which we’ll be launching later this year on PS4.

We’ve just hit the Alpha stage in the development of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice. This is significant, because it means that for the first time the entire game is playable from beginning to end.

This game looks insane. Literally.

I hope we get a release date this month.