Hand of Fate

Hand of Fate
0.0 0

Hand of Fate

A tarot card driven roguelike action role playing game, by Defiant Development from Brisbane, Australia.

First Released

February 17, 2015

Platforms

Mac, PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Linux

Developers

Defiant Development

Genres

Strategy, Adventure, Role-Playing, Card Game, Trivia/Board Game, Action-Adventure

Find out more at Giant Bomb

So yeah, I missed out on my chance to buy this when it was $8

But I noticed @LASSIE was playing the game last night, so I asked him what he thought and the next thing I know I was playing it on his console using share play. Not only was the game pretty cool, but that feature is also super slick. The only other time I tried it was with Far Cry 4 and their whole Keys to Kyrat promotion, which I don’t even think was technically share play, but I have to do that more often.

Play this game.

/end

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
YES YES YES YES
YES YES YES YES
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I actually just booted this up over the weekend. I had fun with it. How far did you end up getting in it?

I’ve never gotten to the end but got close a few times. I always mess myself up with a poor decision. That article mentions there are subtle visual cues to inform you decisions, so I may go back and try again knowing that.

What visual cues are you talking about, just this?

The first Hand of Fate’s gameplay favored players who could plan well and see well. You’d get a card telling you some vampires wanted some of your blood and you could decide how much to give them, risking your health in future turns while hoping for a good reward. Or you’d turn over a treasure chest card and then have to identify which of four quickly-rearranged face-down cards contained the chest’s treasure (the developers swear this was always visually trackable).

For some reason I’ve always been good at those types of three-card monte games in video games, and I was wondering if it was actually possible to even track in this game since it essentially shows you a 2D plane when the cards are stacked. I have guessed right about 80% of the time so far though, so there must be something very subtle they are doing to allow your eyes to track it. I know when I share played with you I guessed right, but I wasn’t sure what drew my eye to that card. Any other visual cues you know about?

No, just that part. No idea what it could be.

Enjoying the sequel so far. Cleaned some stuff up and now there’s a companion aspect. I still hate that you can’t access your inventory at any point, even just to review your item stats and abilities. There are still a few other needless hidden things, like when choosing an amulet at start but it doesn’t tell you what they mean until chosen. But finding it just as enjoyable, if not more, than the first.

Also some QoL things, like you don’t consume food for backtracking (at least one card( as far as i can tell and I think some gear is locked behind a level gate or something. I dont know, I have a shield that I cannot equipment. In the original, it was all available upon pick up but this isn’t,…so I think it’as level based…? Don’t know, yet since I started over like 3 time because of the amulet BS and still ended up with one I don’t think I like.