Ghost of Tsushima

Ghost of Tsushima

Ghost of Tsushima

Ghost of Tsushima is an open-world, action-adventure game set in feudal Japan.

Expected Release

TBA

Platforms

PlayStation 4

Developers

Sucker Punch

Genres

Action-Adventure

Find out more at Giant Bomb

Seriously, how come no one has made a sprawling samurai open-world game yet? Feudal Japan is beautiful; from the swaying bamboo forests to the ornate castles, it’s a place that demands to be explored. Don’t you want to wear a suit of samurai armor? Wouldn’t you like to fire a six-foot-tall samurai long bow? Want to journey across a lush countryside with a katana on your hip? For me, the answer is clearly “yes, yes please.”

I’ve been a fan of samurai comics since 5th grade, from Lone Wolf and Cub to Usagi Yojimbo. The types of characters, landscapes, betrayal, and sacrifice in those stories are a rich vein ready to be translated into a videogame. The artists and engineers here at Sucker Punch have brought this world to life on PlayStation 4, from tall grass blowing in the wind to the call of a far off crane, we want to make it feel real. All of what’s shown in our debut trailer was captured in our game engine, that’s the interactive world we’re painstakingly crafting together, that’s the world we’re going to set on fire.

In 1274, the Mongol army invaded Japan, their first stop: Tsushima Island. In Ghost of Tsushima, you play as a battered samurai, fighting back against overwhelming odds. In the trailer, you see the leader of the Mongols, a guy I would describe as an “uncomfortably reasonable killer” trying to intimidate our hero. It’s all there, right in that little scene. The power and confidence of the Mongol Empire coming face to face with pure, lethal, samurai determination.

We’re excited to finally be able to talk about the game and look forward to sharing more in the coming months. Keeping it a secret for so long has been painful. The trailer is the perfect way to share with the world what we’ve been dying to play for so many years—fighting back invaders in feudal Japan, mastering the katana and building your legend as “the Ghost.”

Beautiful.

1 Like
3 Likes

Wow. Still no release date ?

• The trailer we saw last night is not part of the main story, it’s a side quest!
  • Main storyline will be Jin vs. the Mongols.
  • He’s had to go beyond his samurai training in order to fight back against the Mongols.
  • The theme of the combat is “mud, blood, and steel”. Expect to get dirty and muddy.
  • Possibility of other weapons but they’re only showing the katana right now.
  • Jin has learned to use a grapple hook but this is not part of his samurai training. He’s had to learn new tricks to silently kill the mongrels.
  • “movement” is the environment theme, expect everything to move - blowing trees, windy fields, falling leaves.
  • There will be a minimal game HUD but they’re not showing it just yet.
  • Looks like there’s a photo mode.
  • You can play the game with a Japanese voice track.
  • Your horse will be integral. Looks like you have a friend for the story.
  • It’s an open world game.
  • Jin’s nickname is “The Ghost of Tsushima”.
  • Jin has become a “legend” in Japan called “The Ghost”.
  • Expect that level of detail (E3 2018 trailer) in the whole game.

Some of this info is the same as what Smurf posted.

• It’s an open world game.
  • The game is grounded and realistic.
  • The trailer we saw last night is not part of the main story, it’s a side quest!
  • Landscapes range from the swaying bamboo forests of the countryside, to the urban centers of ornate castles.
  • There a lot of stories in the game that you may not find them all.
  • There are many side characters in the game, most which have sidequests.
  • Main storyline will be Jin vs. the Mongols.
  • The game is a original work of fiction they are not rebuilding history stone by stone.
  • He’s had to go beyond his samurai training in order to fight back against the Mongols.
  • The theme of the combat is “mud, blood, and steel”. Expect to get dirty and muddy.
  • Possibility of other weapons but they’re only showing the katana right now.
  • Sucker Punch teases that Jin’s combat style abandons some samurai techniques, swapping them for the “violent grace of a silent assassin”.
  • Jin has learned to use a grapple hook but this is not part of his samurai training. He’s had to learn new tricks to silently kill the Mongols.
  • Strong focus on minimalism for the graphics, you see the things that are more pronounce.
  • “Movement” is the environment theme, expect everything to move - blowing trees, windy fields, falling leaves.
  • Everything you can see in the background you can go to such as a Pagoda and Mongol ships, you have the freedom to go where you want at your on pace.
  • They want to give players a lot of navigational options.
  • There will be a minimal game HUD but they’re not showing it just yet.
  • Looks like there’s a photo mode.
  • You can play the game with a Japanese voice track.
  • The main character is called Jin Sakai.
  • Jin’s nickname is “The Ghost of Tsushima”.
  • Jin has become a “legend” in Japan called “The Ghost”.
  • Jin will change what is wearing. In a rain-drenched part of the world Jin has traded his traditional armor for a straw raincoat called a mino.
  • You can ride a horse, and that horse’s name is Nobu.
  • Expect that level of detail (E3 2018 trailer) in the whole game.

Leaked info:

• Samurai were the most respectable people in Japan, people bow to Jin as he passes by on foot or horseback, but samurai were also feared; some women and children will attempt to hide or flee at the sight of Jin, while others will attempt to attack in order to prove themselves, or take some of the valuable gear a samurai would typically carry. This all helps to make the world feel alive and immersive. Not sure how often these civilian interactions occur.
  • Each outpost has a story behind it and a quest line, not just “take out these soldiers and you retake the village”. Villages can be retaken by Mongols if you do not complete the quest line.
  • The game has two central towns (think Witcher 3), and many smaller outposts / villages.
  • There are NPCS who can help train you in the ways of the Ghost, as for a Samurai, it would be a completely different form, and dishonorable way, of combat. Don’t expect Jin to be able to right out of the gate know how to throw shuriken, use kunai, use alchemy (poisons, create potions, and explosives), use grappling hooks to get on top of rooftops, quickly, etc.
  • 2 major skill trees with many branches; which are way of the samurai, and way of the ghost. Samurai focusing more on sword play, archery, and defense, while ghost focuses more on stealth, alchemy, and agility.
  • Samurai skill tree is fully unlocked from the start, while ghost requires you to complete tasks in order to unlock a specific branch, such as working with an alchemist in order to learn poison abilities, or to create potions with strong effects.
  • You will be free to switch between samurai and ghost kits. Jin in full samurai armor won’t be able to climb buildings (you can still jump, don’t worry) or swim/dive, and would be fit more for a defensive, all out attack build. This can be balanced out however by mixing kits. You switch by going into any outpost / town, there you will also be able to sleep in order to pass the time, so if you prefer to tackle a mission at night as a ghost, or at day as a samurai, it’s up to you. So for a more grounded approach, samurai is recommended.
  • Think of climbing buildings as a faster paced assassins creed. Tenchu style grappling hook makes it even faster.
  • You don’t necessarily want to be seen in your ghost kit, as people may take you for an assassin and will sometime be hostile toward you. The game recommends you to be the ghost at night, but samurai at day.
  • Some quests will only be handed out in your samurai gear, or only in your ghost gear, such as assassination requests. Double agent type of system and story to back it up.

More at the Game Awards.

June 26! You’ll have 1 month to finish The Last of Us Part 2.

Wow.

New release date: July 17th

I got a real Bushido Blade vibe watching this. I miss that series. Combined with Horizon Zero Dawn. I think I’m more hyped for this than The Last of Us Part 2 now.

Big ol’ fat “meh” from me after seeing actual gameplay.

MetaCritic: 84, 48 Reviews | OpenCritic: 85, Mighty

Edmond Tran: GameSpot:
(7/10)
Ghost of Tsushima’s story hits hard in the game’s third and final act, and ends in spectacular fashion. It left me with the same kinds of strong emotions I felt at the end of all my favourite samurai film epics, and had me eager to watch them all again. The game hits a lot of fantastic cinematic highs, and those ultimately lift it above the trappings of its familiar open-world quest design and all the innate weaknesses that come with it–but those imperfections and dull edges are definitely still there. Ghost of Tsushima is at its best when you’re riding your horse and taking in the beautiful world on your own terms, armed with a sword and a screenshot button, allowing the environmental cues and your own curiosity to guide you. It’s not quite a Criterion classic, but a lot of the time it sure looks like one.

Ian Walker: Kotaku:
Ghost of Tsushima is pretty as heck—sporadic capturing left me with almost 50 GB worth of screenshots and short video clips to sift through—but at its core, it’s just another open-world game. I found myself audibly sighing every time I crested a hill towards a mystery objective only to find another fox to follow or another haiku to compose. These diversions, while unique at first glance, proved to just be busy work as time wore on. I was so strong by the end of the game—filling up every skill tree is easy if you ignore the main story and just explore for a bit—that I didn’t even bother using stealth tactics for the last third. I don’t think I even died after the first few hours. There’s so little to get excited about in Tsushima once the initial wonder of the wind physics and lush environments wears off that the only thing that kept me going was my own innate desire to fill out the entire map. And that can only hold someone’s interest for so long.

Matt Miller: Game Informer:
(9.5/10)
Ghost of Tsushima captures the mystique, fierce violence, and barely contained emotional angst of the great samurai films. The line of inspiration is clearly purposeful; Sucker Punch included a gorgeous “Kurosawa Mode,” which sets a black-and-white, film-grain, audio-treated effect that doubles down on the classic cinematic vibe. It’s well worth turning on, if only for a few missions. But even beyond that cool feature, this is a game that nails the aesthetic it’s shooting for, firmly establishing itself as the medium’s defining samurai saga.

Andrew Webster: The Verge:
The latest PS4 game from developer Sucker Punch is an attempt to merge the structure of a conventional open-world game with the setting of a classic samurai film. Think of it as Assassin’s Creed by way of Akira Kurosawa. When things click, it’s amazing; Ghost is a beautiful game, one full of focused, contemplative moments, from tense, one-on-one sword duels to peaceful retreats to compose haiku under a tree. Ghost doesn’t hit the same highs as its cinematic inspirations, but it apes their themes and style in a way that at least feels unique for a video game.

The problem is that it so often isn’t quiet. Open-world games are big and busy, and those elements — the gigantic battles, the sprawling map, the copious sidequests, the repetitive mission structure — drown out what makes Ghost feel special. The two sides of the game feel constantly at odds. When it works, it’s incredible. The rest of the time, it’s yet another open-world action game.

Kirk McKeand: VG247:
(★★★ out of five):
Like the samurai, Ghost of Tsushima feels like a relic of a bygone era.
Sam Machkovech: Ars Technica:
An open-world adventure can nail tropes like graphics, combat, stealth, or modes of transportation and feel amazing at first blush. But what keeps us hooked to the required repetition of the genre once players get to a game’s 10th or 20th hour? Some open-world fans may opt to skip dialogue and plot sequences while clearing missions and killing foes, hooked to the basic rush of gameplay mechanics. GoT is fine in that respect—a good measure above “competent,” though not revolutionary.

But the reason I am absolutely captivated and excited by this game is because it marries all of that content—how it looks, how battles play out, how quests are linked together, how good it feels to ride its horses through giant fields of dramatically lit flowers and trees—with a sense of purpose, which Sucker Punch constantly reinforces in surprising ways. Sakai ranks among the best Sony video game heroes in recent memory—and, gosh, that’s high praise, considering what Sony Interactive Entertainment has produced in the PS4 era. But that’s arguably because everyone and everything in his path feels so real, so human, and so alive.

If you need to get lost in over 30 hours of heroic gameplay right now, in a single-player adventure with no online connectivity gimmicks or content locked away as DLC, Sucker Punch has you covered with an instant contender for 2020’s game of the year.

Click to expand…Caleb Wysor: The Spiel Times:
(7/10)
Ghost of Tsushima is an enjoyable but muddled experience: its strong gameplay fundamentals are hampered by a lack of originality and weak storytelling.
Chris Tapsell: Eurogamer:
Like the game itself, they go for authenticity through facsimile - recreating moments without the requisite weight and context. And, like the game itself, they’re lacking a little depth. Despite the immediate and undeniable thrill, the gloss can be just a little too quick to wear off.

Robert Ramsey: Push Square:
(9/10)
Ghost of Tsushima is a joy to play and a joy to behold. Sucker Punch has crafted one of the most memorable open world games of this generation, buoyed by an immensely satisfying combat system and an engaging, dramatic story. Unlike many of its open world peers, it’s a refined and focused experience – gripping and immaculately presented at its best. A fitting first-party swansong for the PS4.

Kieron Verbrugge: Press Start:
(8.5/10)
Ghost of Tsushima might be built from the same stuff as its AAA, open world contemporaries, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of the best open world experiences of the generation. Sucker Punch has set its samurai fantasy apart by presenting players with a beautiful world that is rewarding to explore, with many mysteries to uncover. Jin’s story is a compelling tale pulled from the pages of the epics, and it’s just one of many that the game has to offer. The game isn’t perfect, but it’s not often I spend upwards of 50 hours playing an open world game to total completion and immediately want to jump back in, even if it’s just to sit and watch the breeze roll by.

Alessio Palumbo: Wccftech:
(9/10)
Ghost of Tsushima is Sucker Punch’s best game yet and a great open world title capable of measuring to some of the biggest names in the genre. The excellent rendition of feudal Japan, along with its well-written characters and story, make Ghost of Tsushima stand out as the last must-have PlayStation 4 exclusive.

Andrew Beeken: Next Gen Base:
(9/10)
A game full of meaningful moments, of quiet contemplation and brutal, savage combat. A game about family, tradition, honour and change that comes at a significant point of change in Sony’s videogame strategy. A more hopeful and less alienating experience than The Last of Us Part II and a step back to a more gentle and inviting form of open world adventure, Ghost of Tsushima is both a celebration of the past and a look towards the future, and is a fitting first party swansong for the PS4.

Bobby Pashalidis: Console Creatures:
Ghost of Tsushima is the biggest game yet from Sucker Punch and it’s their most impressive game to date. While I didn’t appreciate the story as much as I wanted to, the combat, the characters, the island of Tsushima offer enough to make up for it. Combat is fast, chaotic, and satisfying. Stealth is as good as combat thanks to the tools Jin uses to push back the Mongols from his home and following the Guiding Wind often leads to something worth riding to. This is Sucker Punch’s most ambitious game by far and as the curtain closes on PlayStation 4, it is a fitting way to close out the 8th generation of consoles.

Kobi Rosenthal: PC Galaxy (Before Embargo)
(9.5/10) (Review in Hebrew, excerpt was machine-translated, tag/DM me if a better translation can be offered):

Ghost of Tsushima is another great open-world game from Sucker Punch.

While the battle system can be a bit stiff and would have benefited more from enemy variety and depth, it is still an amazing game in terms of gameplay, visuals, and story with a busy and lively world which serves as the biggest attraction of the game with each mission and place that feels important and interesting. Ghost of Tsushima is the ultimate samurai game, and closes the generation in a big way.

I had no idea this was coming out so soon. Anyone planning on picking it up?