Gamescom - The One in Germany

Gamescom - The One in Germany
0.0 0

E3 is not even here yet, but already we are getting news about Gamescom.

“We’re delighted to announce that we will be hosting an international media briefing at Paris Games Week on 27th October,” they said. "With the changes this year of E3 taking place a week later and Gamescom taking place earlier, we feel that both PlayStation and the wider industry would benefit from a major news milestone later in the year, during the most important period for gaming.

@Steven_Jaskowiak I just heard you went to Gamescom!?!?

How did I not know this and how have you not bragged about it here yet?

@Rewfus,

I did go to Gamescom! It was one of those things that people do because they find themselves living only two hours away from the event. So, for those who didn’t know, or haven’t been there, I have a few notes:

• You start seeing games stuff the moment you hit the ground in Cologne. Big game advertisers this year:

• Fallout4 with the most billboards
    • Doom just behind them
    • Wargaming (Tanks/Warships) with the largest game ads I have ever seen. Want to see the side of a convention hall with a gigantic WoT logo? Go to Gamescom.
  • It was hot. No seriously, it was hot. Air Conditioning isn’t unheard of here, but, it isn’t meant to handle temps 100 degrees and up. Lines outside were miserable.

• There were people. If you’re planning on going to Gamescom, buy your tickets, book your hotel, and get your flight as early as possible. If you are free the event week next year, now is the time to get the reservations in. It was absolutely ridiculous, thousands of people were spread out all over the city. If you don’t know Cologne, you can literally navigate your way to the venue by following the crowd of stereotypical gamers.

• Check out all the halls. It will be a multiday trip to do it, but spend your time to see everything. Don’t wait in lines for the big AAA game companies (some were upwards of several hours long), but go check out the indie devs. Some friends of mine (normal people, not press) got into private parties with developers, received alpha invites, and some cool merch just for doing well at the demo tables.

• Pay attention to sideline events. I was able to go to the Cloud Imperium Games Star Citizen livestream event-which was pretty impressive for a game that is still several years from release. It wasn’t the only one that occurred either. Do your research and pay attention to your favorite developers to see what they are doing. I left town early, but my friends were paying attention and had lunch with CIG’s Chris Roberts and the other leads at the company.

Finally, if you’e an American, don’t be afraid of the transit systems in Germany. There are apps in English that tell you how to use the public transportation system and even let you buy tickets remotely. You don’t need a car here-and if you think you do, good luck finding parking. People were parked on curbs and sidewalks for miles on every street.

I’m marking it on the calendar as we speak. I was going about planning my trip to visit you all wrong. I shouldn’t schedule around the beer festivals, I should schedule around Gamescom! But wait, there will be plenty of beer festivals still…right?

I would love to hear from your buddies about the experience. Shoot them an invite! I insist. I mean really, I insist.

So good to finally hear from you. Very envious about the time you spent, and continue to spend there. I hope that I can share in it next year.

Disclaimer: Steve is my brother-in-law currently living overseas. I’ll let him share any more details if he feels so inclined.

@Rewfus

You honestly do need to plan for Gamescom next year. In Germany…there may not always be a beer festival, but there is always beer (minimum size is generally .5L bottles and glasses).

Also, your Batman avatar is…creepy, what with the blinking and all.

Alright, we’ll talk.

And my avatar isn’t creepy. Yours is. It reminds me of a snake. A cat snake.

Welcome to my nightmare.

Announcements and trailers from today.

Other news: PUBG is getting PS4/XB1 crossplay and Gears used a NIN song in their trailer. Oh, and Ori and the Blind Forest is going to the Switch.

Is KSP2 PS4 only?

I don’t think so. I think in the trailer they showed from the Gamescom Opening video, it showed a bunch of logos at the end.

PC, PS4 and XB1