E3 2016

E3 2016
0.0 0

I completely get where you are coming from, and agree with a lot of what you have to say. They seem to becoming more and more curmudgeon as time goes on, but at the same time, I try to put things in their perspective as much as I can.

I was also surprised by how most of them thought the Sony presser was a let down:

Most of them are industry vets that are used to going to a “press” conference to get information that they couldn’t get anywhere else. That obviously is less and less the case with each E3, and Sony kind of embodies that. I love it as a gamer, but as someone from the press, watching trailer after trailer provides no value to them. As Jeff has said many times since, they might as well just provide an ftp address with the trailers and save everyone the trouble. What “the press” wants are industry insights, plans for the future, and pitches that they can’t get anywhere else so that they can go back and write/podcast/videocast about it. That is generally what the mass media wants the least though, because it just sounds like empty promises. E3 is continually trying to walk the lines between satisfying the press and satisfying the mass market, but as time goes on, they are focusing much more on the consumer, and I think the industry vets are feeling less and less relevant, understandably so.

Ok, that’s enough of my psychoanalysis on the GB staff, I just think sometimes you have to view things from a different perspective to understand the reactions and motivations that are different than yours. Sony was super exciting to watch as a consumer, but as someone from the press, I can see how it felt empty.

Here’s the Sony conference in a nutshell.

God of War reveal
Last Guardian trailer and release date
More Horizon: Zero Dawn gameplay
Detroit reveal (thankfully no David Cage on stage this year)
Random VR games
Final Fantasy XV VR
Resident Evil VII (VR?)
Call of Duty
Crash Remaster and Skylanders
LEGO Star Wars
Days Gone demo

Yeah, it was a pretty fucking weak conference compared to previous years.

That is all true. But at the same time, the press conferences are not the only place for journalists to get exclusive news at E3. They have behind doors demos, interviews, etc. But I get what you are saying.

The thing about Sony’s conference though, was that even when they showed games I had no interest in like Detroit, Call of Duty, Days Gone, they at least made the games look great. Like, that Call of Duty gameplay section made the game look amazing. I’m still not going to buy it, but it was at least fun to watch unlike Scalebound. And for a game like Detroit, it actually changed my mind and made me interested in the title. MS had some really unflattering gameplay/trailers for several of their titles. FFXV was abysmal. They even made ReCore look bland.

And here’s the rundown of the Microsoft conference.

XB1 (S) reveal
Gear of War 4 demo & controller
General Raam in Killer Instinct
Forza Horizon 3 trailer and co-op demo
Recore gameplay
Final Fantasy XV demo
The Division DLC trailer
Same Battlefield 1 trailer
XBL features
More Minecraft
Even more Minecraft
Custom XB1 controllers (lolwhy)
ID@Xbox indie montage
We Happy Few
Tekken 7
Dead Rising 4
XB1 Windows 10 compatibility talk
Scalebound demo
Sea of Thieves gameplay (complete with great banter)
State of Decay 2
Halo Wars 2 trailers (ALL UNITS!)
Scorpio video (highest quality pixels)

Microsoft’s conference also ran like an extra 30-45 minutes longer than Sony’s, mostly filled with Minecraft.

I highlighted my… highlights.

While that may be true to some extent, the Giant Bomb team (and myself) aren’t comparing Sony’s conference with Microsoft’s. We’re comparing Sony’s 2016 conference with their previous years, and it’s probably the weakest of the PS4 era conferences.

Microsoft’s, on the other hand, may not have been amazing but it wasn’t overly terrible by any means, especially when you compare it to their previous years. This is one of their few conferences in recent memory that basically showcased game after game.

Also VR can suck my Dick Vader.

You are my self proclaimed arch enemy, so I have no choice but to refute you:

You will not be surprised to hear that Gerstmann thought it was severely lacking. From the sounds of it you just are put in the detective mode similar to what you have done in the recent Arkham games. He explains the problem solving being just as shallow, if not more shallow than the main games, and if the entire game is just visiting crimes, it’s very disappointing.

You have probably heard a lot more about it than I have, but I have pretty low expectations for it based off how it was presented and how I can see it completely filling that “VR Experience” bucket where it is impressive for the first 30 minutes, then you never pick it up again.

Have you actually heard impression on this in VR? People are apparently getting severely sick from it, and all of the VR devs I have heard from are ashamed of how Capcom has blatantly ignored every lesson that could be taken from developing VR games up to this point.

Admittedly so, the reveal was sweet, and if we are really just comparing the conferences, this was a high point.

You should really get that looked at.

[quote=“Rewfus, post:251, topic:625, full:true”]
You should really get that looked at.[/quote]

[quote=“Rewfus, post:250, topic:625, full:true”]
You are my self proclaimed arch enemy, so I have no choice but to refute you:[/quote]

I see you hiding in the cupboard…

The two people I listened to (EZA/Kinda Funny) were admittedly HUGE DC/Batman fans. So, just “being” Batman had them glowing. But they too were worried about it being a full-fledged title. They did say, when you have friends over and want to show them VR, THIS is the game to do it with.

[quote=“Rewfus, post:250, topic:625, full:true”]
Have you actually heard impression on this in VR? People are apparently getting severely sick from it, and all of the VR devs I have heard from are ashamed of how Capcom has blatantly ignored every lesson that could be taken from developing VR games up to this point.[/quote]

I did not know they had VR demos of this up and running. I hadn’t heard any of this negativity… I was just basing it off the reveal trailer. I’m not an RE guy, but that was the perfect way to reveal this game.

Apparently Capcom did release a statement about it though:

Update 12:56pm : Capcom released a brief statement: “The title is still in development and is still being optimized across all aspects, including for VR. The development team’s priority with VR is ensuring that players’ comfort and ability to enjoy the game to its full potential is realized.”

Also, you left Spider-man PS4 off your list.

Shame on you.

I think he was just including games that are going to come out in the next 5 years.

That I did. Mah bad.