Destiny 2

Destiny 2
0.0 0

Unfortunately no dedicated servers for console or PC.

[quote=“MrBimble, post:61, topic:812, full:true”]
Unfortunately no dedicated servers for console or PC.[/quote]

Does that really make much of a difference for the non-competitive experience?

Yes, but not as much.

As someone who played the first one solo 90% of the time, the guided games feature sounds pretty cool. It’s basically an in game LFG.

According to the new trailer, the release date is now Sept 6th for consoles and Oct 24th for PC.

Also 30fps on PS4.

It’s 2017 Bungie, wtf. I’m getting real annoyed at that all the 4K marketing bullshit when 99% of these games toting the 4K visuals are only running at 30fps. 4K at 30fps only really looks good in screenshots, on a larger TV they start to look real jittery once you start moving around.

Really wish they’d focus on 60fps at 1080, especially for those of us who run with 144hz displays. Shit is as smooth as butter.

Sure, but the PC version is also getting a delayed release.

It’s not just Bungie.

I spoke to a developer from Ubisoft working on that game and inquired about the version parity between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. He told me that Assassin’s Creed Origins will be 4K at 30 FPS on both the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, which I found a little confusing. If the PS4 Pro can handle 4K 30, how is Assassin’s Creed Origins utilizing the Xbox One X’s additional overhead? It isn’t, apparently.

How is Assassin’s Creed Origins utilizing the Xbox One X’s additional overhead? It isn’t.

The developer told me that both versions use dynamic resolution scaling to maintain frame rate stability, so more intense scenes might see the 4K resolution drop below momentarily to keep the game running smoothly. He said that the Xbox One X version’s resolution would most likely drop below True 4K far less often, and perhaps not at all when compared to the PS4 Pro, but also that the differences would be “imperceptible to the human eye.”

I’d love to play this on PC, but

1. I need to update my PC
  2. If I hope to raid with @LASSIE and Big Dog, I’m guessing PS4 is my best bet.

Yeah, I’m right there with you, I just have given up caring about teraflops and transistors when it comes to consoles. It just seems like a battle you can never win. It’s like buying an Accord and complaining that it can’t keep up with a 911. Sure, you can buy the Accord SE, but don’t expect it to win any races. I buy an Accord because it’s reliable, cost effective and gets good gas mileage.

I can understand the argument about wanting them to concentrate on frame rate over resolution, but that’s not going to sell any TVs or look like anything other than being outdated to the uninformed masses, which is exactly who consoles are marketed towards. It stings, but it’s the truth.

Just to add insult to injury:

Except in this analogy of yours, the Accord can go just as fast as the 911 but it’s being held back by the manufacturer for superfluous reasons.

Yeah, I’m dramatically over simplifying, and I obviously haven’t kept up with the hardware market. While I still find it hard to believe the updated consoles can do a smooth 60fps at 4K like their PC counterparts, it’s a moot point when PCs will continue to increase that performance margin a year from now, or even 6 months from now. It just seems like if you really care about 1080 vs 4K or 30fps vs 60fps, PC is the only logical choice.

I think you’re mixing something up. PC’s currently have trouble running a smooth 60fps @ 4K unless you drop $2k+ on hardware, and even then things like lighting, shadows and particle effects will suffer.

On the console side, the PS4 and XB1 are currently capable of running a lot games at 60fps @ 1080p, which means the updated PS4 Pro and XB1X are definitely capable of running damn near anything at that resolution and framerate combination.

This whole 4K on console nonsense irritates me to no end because of the “technically-true-but-also-misleading” marketing speak we’ve been hearing over the past couple of years. The vast majority of 4K console titles announced are either previous-gen “remasters” with true 4K texture updates, current-gen games running at non-native 4K via checkerboard scaling, or Forza / Gran Turismo.

We’re not going to see a true 4K, visually next-gen, non-racing/sports game on consoles for a long time. Exactly what Microsoft and Sony are trying to sell us on, which I find disingenuous.

IGN: "Why did you make that decision. You’re like ‘We’re going to lock it at 4K/30 max on consoles.’ Is it just like, you don’t want to push the consoles too hard, or why do you make that choice?"
Luke Smith: “I mean, I’m going to wade into this, and you [Mark Noseworthy] can flesh it out. The console, the PS4 Pro is super powerful, but it couldn’t run our game at 60. Our game’s this rich physics simulation where collision of players, networking, etc, and like, it wouldn’t run.”

IGN: "Yeah, makes sense."
Luke Smith: "Not enough horsepower there."
Mark Noseworthy:But there’s tons of GPU power in the PS4 Pro. That’s why we’re doing 4K, right? It’s on the CPU side. Destiny’s simulation, like we have more AI, more monsters in an environment with physically simulated vehicles and characters and projectiles, and it’s part of the Destiny magic, like that, like 30 seocnds of fun, like coming around a corner and throwing a grenade, popping a guy in the head, and then you add like 5, 6, 7 other players in a public event; that is incredibly intensive for hardware.”

What the fuck does that even mean? Resolution and framerate is handled by the GPU, not the CPU…

CPU bottleneck.

Compared to a desktop CPU, the Xbox One X’s CPU will be a substantial bottleneck. The eight Jaguar CPU cores will offer one-half to one-third the performance of AMD’s new Ryzen CPUs. As we wrote when the Scorpio specs were first revealed, all eight cores working together will maybe roughly equal the performance of an Intel i3 CPU.

This bandwidth allows the Xbox One X to do higher resolution 4K gaming, as long as the developers don’t go overboard on things that rely on computational performance.

I’m kinda confused on all this technical jargon myself, but it sounds like the GPU and memory are huge, but when it comes to computational stuff, like what the Destiny devs are referring to, they are severely limited by the PS4 Pro and XBOX CPUs.

So yeah, they can make things awfully pretty, until you start throwing in insane waves of enemies and multiplayer and particle effects, etc…

How I read that…